multiple images

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

multiple images

Post by RodAstro »

Ha image 700mm inside.jpg
Ha image 700mm inside.jpg (76.13 KiB) Viewed 3844 times
Hi new to the forum
I have been reading for a while and trying to glean info on the Omega H-alpha filters
I have been trying to build a system using these filters and am having problems with the front filter etalon.
It seems to have multiple images in one direction all the same size but progressively fading.
The images rotate with the filter if I rotate it so fixed.
No amount of tilting makes any difference to them.
I started with the filter system just in front of the diagonal and the images are close together but today I have moved them 700mm up the tube and they spread out not quite as intrusive.
I am using on a 150mm f15 refractor stopped down to 70mm by ERF so working just over f30.
Just wondering if anyone has come accross this? Omega seem to sell enough of these filters.
I have added a drawing of what I am seeing to help.
Thanks for any help

download/file.php?mode=view&id=29720&si ... 0a443fc866

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: multiple images

Post by marktownley »

Post a pic / drawing of your optical setup.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

Ok simple diagram as it is a simple setup
Attachments
Ha filter position in zeiss.jpg
Ha filter position in zeiss.jpg (41.89 KiB) Viewed 3839 times

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I see. Looks to me like it's reflections in the different layers of the Omega filter. I've tried the Omegas before a couple of times, IMHO they are nowhere near good enough for solar astronomy. Try sending it back and asking for a replacement.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

Yep thanks for the reply Mark that is the conclusion I am coming to. I have two sets of these and both are the same, although the reflections in one is slightly closer than the other. It is a pity the elements could not be separated and mounted separately then the reflections could be removed.
What problems did you have with yours?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Ghosting, lack of contrast, very wide band pass. They're basically trying to get an interference filter to act as an etalon, and the two are quite different things.

RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

yep ghosting is a problem but I have found CPL filters can remove nearly all but these secondary images then the contrast improves, band pass I am not sure about yet, I am getting good prominences but surface detail is not good yet I can see some.
Im not sure how good my seeing is and there is little on the surface to look see at the moment.
But in contrast I think the only other system that would work on my scope is a Quark or a second scope and cost becomes a bit prohibitive.

RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

Has any one other than Dave G and P Zetner had success with these filters?

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Doesn't P Zetner have the Omega CaK and not the Halpha?
Alexandra

RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

Hi Alexandra
Yes I think he does now but his original Omega was a Ha system and he also had trouble with the first filter and reflections and from what I can gather he used some different pre filtering and two of the rear filters that do not have the UV/IR protection filters. It seems to me that it is these two or three plates stuck together that is the cause of the reflections.
By the way did you ever get your Baader prominence viewer working? I am interested as the original design was for my scope and made by Zeiss Jena yours was probably made by Zeiss as many of the Baader optics were and from what I can gather some still are. It should show lovely proms when working it was not an amature unit when made.

RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

Hi Alexandra
Just been on your solar nutcase blog and see you did get it working, nice!
Surprised you have not seen the pollen before, maybe modern filters are to narrow. I have seen them and many other high altitude objects in other solar filter systems thousand oaks, PSTs it is a common thing to see. Another reason to get to high altitude. Interestingly it also makes you realise how many species can spread around the earth.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Glad you saw my results, I was just going to say yes I did get it to work, it is great for visual :) Perhaps Wolfgang may be able to help with the placement of your filters or how to overcome the issues, but only if you speak German :)

Alexandra

RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

Do you know if Wolfgang worked for Zeiss at any time?
Oliver Smie of Bel Optik did and he also makes a very similar unit.
Lots of excellent opticians were put out of job when the Berlin wall came down and Zeiss west managed to take over the Jana factory.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I am sorry but I don't know, you could ask him :)
Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I don't think you're going to get anywhere near what you can get even with just a PST compared to these Omega filters...

RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

Yep Mark I am coming to that conclusion
Peat Z ended up using two of the rear filters and other blocking filters in his scope, he even mentioned in one of his posts that he tried to separate the front filter but it could not be done.
So after spending a £100 or so on fittings other filters and aluminium plus hours of machining the filters are packed up ready to go back to Omega. Now my friend who ordered them has all the hassle with customs to get their hefty charges back.
From looking around the internet it seems Dave Gs is the only one that works no one else posts anything about what they can see and no images.
What did you end up doing with your filters?

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

I’m currently testing a combo of the CaK Omega filters. So far the results are looking good.
Haven’t tried any of the Ha options.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

Hope they work well there does seem to be a lot of success CaK filters is it possible to use them visually or are they just for imaging?

RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

I have had a PST but found although the views were good I wanted to get closer in and study areas more but found it very limited for that so didn't use it much. I must admit though imaging and processing has come on so much since then I probably go more down that road now.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Why not do a PST modification then?
Alexandra

RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

I did think of that when I had the PST that was before any one had done it but didn't have the guts to have a go, (very unusual for me) I wanted to keep my eyes. My PST was one of the first ones.
Rod

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

RodAstro wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:38 am What did you end up doing with your filters?
I chucked them away...

RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

Thats expensive
I have taken great care with them especially after seeing the first image and not being able to move the false images by tilting thought they may have to go back.
Very expensive in time and money for me so I don't feel inclined to try any other Omega filters at the moment and Bob who sells the filters on ebay does not seem to accept or understand the problem. I can understand if they have been damaged in the post or at customs as they did take weeks to get here and they were only in a jiffy bag but that would be Bobs problem for not packing them sufficiently.
Now I am starting moan.
Rod

RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

Well after thinking we will send the filters back, I thought about Peter Zetner's Omega Ha scope and also Filips Scope both using the rear blue filters etalons. Peter used two and Filip used just one because he had the same problem with his red one.
I decided to have a go with the two blue filters (etalons), I had to re machine one of the mounts as the red filter is smaller put it all together and hay presto no multiple images, Prominences all around the edge and surface detail wow. Now needs a bit of work to get rid of the faint ghosting and bring up the contrast. The detail could be better as the two blue filters are not well matched for tuning so will have to sort that out with Omega.
I also used a Kg3 UV/IR blocker to make it safe as well as the ERF.
I can now see the potential so will keep you updated
Cheers for the help/suggestions.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Let us know how you get on

RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

Hi all back at last with good news
I have got the Omega filters to work with a lot of help Peter Zetner's online stuff and others, thanks to all.
Firstly the the first set of filters had a bonded blocker and Ha filter, it was this filter causing all the other images so the filters went back and Bob sent back two matching Ha filters and a seperate blocker.
I still got secondary images but they are reflections and are much dimmer, I found that spacing the filters and the blocker apart by 120 mm the brighter secondary images are thrown to the side leaving only the dimmer ones. I also found that by tuning the filters correctly I can get these dim images on one side of the sun so half the sun does not suffer. Instead of returning the filters the other way I have made the filter block rotate so the secondary images can be moved to the other side easily.
I have mounted the filters in a collimated beam as this works much better than f30 and has allowed me to use a large petzval focal reducer to bring the focal length down from 2250mm to around 1200mm this helps when seeing is not so good.
So today I can easily see three reasonable prominences and have just observed a forth spier like one rise in minutes and then disappear as fast.
The sun's surface is very detailed but not that contrasty and is a bit like looking at dim galaxies once you see them it then seems easy and have seen several small filaments come and go this afternoon.
If you like telescope building these filters seems to be quite productive but do take a lot of work and experimentation, that is fun for some of us although frustrating at times.
The inactive sun does not help as I was never sure if the unit was not working or there was nothing to see anyway. Aded to this my seeing is not very good.
My scope is fun to work with but sometimes causes as many problems as it solves.