Noise, Firecapture and imaging questions

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Ewan
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Noise, Firecapture and imaging questions

Post by Ewan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:15 pm

I can't help with much sorry Alexandra but I thought the 8Bit-16Bit button etc auto detects the input file & adjusts accordingly.
I am sure if you try to load an 8Bit file & select 16Bit the image goes to pot, havn't used it in a while though same as most. Just trying it on my 'Heart & Sol' captures but all the files show as 16Bit in AS!

Can't say I use FC as Genika does all I need it to & overall (to me) is more user friendly.
I was going to go down the route of a separate PSU for the PG IMX174 but think I will stick to the USB powering for now as It just seems to work but as Mark said I guess different laptops may give different mileage.

For me in Genika Mode 0 or 7 seems to have no ill effect in capture speed that's worth pointing out & the only time fps is really affected is when using full res & different Bit depths.

From all the reading I have done most tutorials on capturing data always say 16Bit is better & having seen some Lunar examples from shade to light I have to agree, can't add what you don't capture is how I look at it.

Hope you get things sorted Alexandra
Atb

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:23 am

Just re-visiting this topic.....

Did we find any more info/ data to add to the discussion?

I'm thinking in FC you need to tick the 16bit box to get any of the "benefits" of an SER capture - the frame rate rapidly drops.....
"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ast ... scopy/info
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer

PDB
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by PDB » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:45 am

In my opinion SER has always advantages except for disk space. SER format records exactly what the camera records, while in AVI you are never sure how the content is modified due to compression algoritms. (16 bit data transfer from camera doubles so you need a fast USB, processor and disk to keep it running at full speed. I have managed to build one pc on which I see no frame rate drop in 16 bit even with the ASI178 which has 3096x2080 pixels)

Rgrds,

Paul

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:01 am

Thanks,
I'm running the ASI 174 and ASI 183 on a MSI "gaming " laptop - i7, USB3 16Gb memory and a 1Tb SSD drive.
With FireCapture I'm seeing a drop in fps when I use SER 16 bit setting....
I'll double check all my settings and confirm the impact.
"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ast ... scopy/info
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer

PDB
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by PDB » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:07 am

The ASI 174 has very fast frame rates, so that might indeed cause some drops, and the ASI 183 is huge ...
As SSD i am using these M2 SSD cards which fit directly onto an M2 slot in the motherboard. In PCI mode I can get read speeds of over 1000Mb/sec and write speeds over 350Mbits/sec. Unfortunately not easy, or not possible to build these into a laptop.

P