High Res White Light, Calling all C8 Imagers?

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

High Res White Light, Calling all C8 Imagers?

Post by MalVeauX »

Hey all,

I'm considering adding a larger aperture instrument to my solar kit. I mainly image solar with my 120mm refractor. I can get surface convection cells to show up, but I'm wanting to get more, so I know I'm at a point where it's time to explore larger apertures that are affordable (unlike HA!). This is mainly to image just convection cells in white light (probably with a 540nm filter, or maybe eventually add a Baader K line, but those are costly). I've seen lots of lovely higher resolution convection cell images around, would love to see some examples from a C8.

I'm considering a C8 with a full aperture white light filter (film). I have a solar continuum (540nm) filter to go with it. Will image with an ASI174MM and I have an E.S. focal extender 3x to bring it to F30 for sampling purposes.

Looking to see if anyone has a similar setup and maybe could provide an example of the convection cells at this scale?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Some examples of my previous imaging with a 120mm F8.3 refractor, at 3000mm via a 3x barlow (F25), baader solar film, solar continuum (540nm) filter, and ASI174MM. I'd like to get higher resolution on the convection cells specifically.

ImageAR2664_WL_Mono_06252017 by Martin Wise, on Flickr

ImageSunSpot2671_WL_08212017 by Martin Wise, on Flickr

Very best,

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: High Res White Light, Calling all C8 Imagers?

Post by marktownley »

Good captures Marty. Imaging the same thing with my C8 is also on my list to do. If wen ever get clear skies i'll give it a go.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

I know there are folk doing high res white light, I've seen their convection cells, just wondering if the above equipment will do it.

Right now, without a sunspot to focus on, it's really really hard to determine focus on the photosphere surface in white light at my current scale.

Very best,

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I tried today with the 8" HaT - I was completely wasting my time, seeing was sh!te.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi Marty,

here is an old one from 2016; done with a C8 and Baader Astro Solar ND 5. It is not that good, I had just taken up astro imaging again after approx. 20 years of doing something else, but It shows what should be possible. I should reprocess it (if I can find back the SER file) because since then learned a lot.

This part of AR2567 on 20160719.
AR2567 20160719-002.png
AR2567 20160719-002.png (335.45 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
Did not do that much of white light after that due to switching to H-Alfa.

Regards,

Paul

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Thanks Paul,

Do you recall if you used any barlow/focal-extender/powermate, and what camera? Etc? Trying to get an idea of scale.

I like the size of those convection cells, would like to be able to dig more into that.

Very best,

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Camera was an ASI-120MMS. Can't remember if I used my barlow for that one, so it was either at f/10 or with a 2.5 x barlow. The first would be under- the second oversampled. If I would take these now I would use my ASI178MM at the C8 prime focus which should give a better match for pixel size. And also use a AstroSolar 3.8 + either my Solar Continuum filter (better contrast) or red filter (better seeing).

regards,

Paul