Daystar QUARK Chromosphere H-alpha Filter

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Daystar QUARK Chromosphere H-alpha Filter

Post by rsfoto »

NEAF 2018 is over ... and we are all back in reality.

Hi,

I could not resist and bought myself a QUARK Chromosphere filter from Daystar. I ahve also a Quantum on order and waiting to get it in about 2-3 months.

Was nice to meet Franco and Brian at NEAF. It is good to know the people i person ;)

I have a a Question about the QUARK respectively about the fact with the telescope diameters.

Who is using a 90mm scope with a QUARK and are you using an ERF be it in front or before the entrance internally like a UV/IR.

I guess this is necessary in order to have low temperature of the QUARK and be able to use the internal heater.

I plan to use it straight through with a camera.

Thanks for any tips.

Rainer
IMG_3547.jpg
IMG_3547.jpg (171.75 KiB) Viewed 3845 times

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
MapleRidge

Re: Daystar QUARK Chromosphere H-alpha Filter

Post by MapleRidge »

Rainer...

Daystar has said on many occasions that a UV/IR cut can be used safely when placed ahead of their filters on scopes up to 150mm. I have used my Quantum with a 2" Baader UV/IR with no issues, though I wouldn't let it track the sun for too long or tube Currents will most likely build up. Smaller apertures should work ok base don their recommendations. I'm ok using one for short sessions.

My personal preference is to use a front ERF for two reasons...first safety, because if the UV/IR cut filter were to crack and let unfiltered sunlight through you risk frying the filter and either your eye or camera. Second, to reduce the risk of tube currents degrading the view or images. They aren't cheap, but when you consider the price of the new Quantum I'd consider one a good investment. A smaller diameter ERF could be mounted inside the OTA is you can engineer it, and that will reduce the cost.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Exactly what Brian says!

Congrats on the new purchases!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi Brian and Mark,

Thanks. As I have a Taka FS-78 = no ERF needed and a SKY 90 = ERF needed I will analyze how to get a 60mm spare ERF which I took off of my double SM 60 inside the SKY 90. Good Idea as inside near the focuser the light cone is smaller then 60mm ...

regards Rainer

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi Rainer,

I have been using the Quark with an 80mm achromat scope and UV/IR filter without any problems. Recently I got an 120mm f/8.3 (air-spaced achromat) and that also gives no problems if I use the UV/IR or the BAADER 35nm H-Alfa filter. I always use the larger version (2") of the filters and screw them either on the diagonal or an extender tube if I use straight thru imaging. Watching the temp of the sensors in FireCapture, I see no real temperature rise even after longer session, tracking the Sun.

Is the FS-78 a fluorite lens? If so I would be carefull, and probably opt for an external D-ERF. Fluorite glass has different thermal expansion. (A TAK not being cheap, would not risc anything) Seen some articles on problems with fluorite, but also some which claim there is no problem ...

Daystar seems to support UV/IR cut filters on Quantums as well (thought that was not possible) but as Brian wrote, considering the price of Quantum, the ERF is a rather small investment.

Good luck with your purchase(s). Very interested seeing the results.

Regards,

Paul

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Heya,

I've been using my Quark with a 120mm aperture refractor with a 2" UV/IR cut filter internally, no ERF, perfectly fine for over a year straight here in sunny hot Florida. I have an email from Daystar stating it's totally safe up to 150mm.

Very best,

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi Paul and Marty,

Thanks. Will inform myself more about Fluorite and Sun. The only Flurorite scope is the Taka FS-78.

Will analyze the Taka SKY 90 and my left over ERF from Coronado. Perhaps I drill some holes into the tube so warm air gets out :idea:

The Quantum will be mounted on a Taka TOA 130 with frontal ERF = Big Diameter so no Problem there ... and will have a 4X PowerMate

Daystar told me that my Quantum PE 0.4 Angström will be ready in about 2-3 months :shock: :shock: :shock:

Rainer

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
eroel

Post by eroel »

Rainer:
I agree with Marty, I have used many times my ATM Daystar filter with a 6" f/12 refractor, just with a 2" UV/IR filter before the Daystar.
Many years ago at the RTMC, I was shocked to see a 10" SCT without an ERF and a Daystar filter aimed at the sun, it was Jen making tests using just a 2" UV/IR filter in front of the filter, it stayed aimed to the sun for a couple of days without any harm to the scope or the filter.
At home I made some. tests with my scope and sure, the UV/IR got hot but not much, so I used my scope for some time without a full size ERF.
The problem of using an internal ERF, is that you need a very good plane parallel made rejection filter, so not to distort the cone of light.
As Paul says, the use of a 35nm Baader Ha filter is a good solution too.
Abrazo,
Eric.

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

eroel wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:03 pm Rainer:
I agree with Marty, I have used many times my ATM Daystar filter with a 6" f/12 refractor, just with a 2" UV/IR filter before the Daystar.
Many years ago at the RTMC, I was shocked to see a 10" SCT without an ERF and a Daystar filter aimed at the sun, it was Jen making tests using just a 2" UV/IR filter in front of the filter, it stayed aimed to the sun for a couple of days without any harm to the scope or the filter.
At home I made some. tests with my scope and sure, the UV/IR got hot but not much, so I used my scope for some time without a full size ERF.
The problem of using an internal ERF, is that you need a very good plane parallel made rejection filter, so not to distort the cone of light.
As Paul says, the use of a 35nm Baader Ha filter is a good solution too.
Abrazo,
Eric.
Hi Eric,

Thanks and very interesting about the test.

I think I have somewhere a 2" H-Alpha filter or even 2" UV/IR filters laying around.

My Problem is more or less that I do not want to use a diagonal. OK if every goes not as planned I have a 1/20 wave diagonal from Vernonscope and it is just collecting dust ...

Maybe I should go the easy way.

regards
Last edited by rsfoto on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

One more question for my understanding and it is about the focusing point of the eye piece of camera.

Having the QUARK in a diagonal, does it behave in focusing distance similar to an eyepiece or is it longer then normal ?

Thanks Rainer

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Quark in a diagonal works the same focus wise if it was an eyepiece in the diagonal

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

marktownley wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:53 pm Quark in a diagonal works the same focus wise if it was an eyepiece in the diagonal
Hi Mark,

Thanks ;)

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

Just disassembled my SKY 90 and we have a winner. I can machine a special retaining ring into which I put my ERF from the Coronado SM60.

I rmemeber that the ERF is slightly inclined in his retaining ring. I guess that is OK.

IMG_3562_C1.jpg
IMG_3562_C1.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 3737 times
IMG_3565_C1.jpg
IMG_3565_C1.jpg (3.77 MiB) Viewed 3737 times
IMG_3566_C1.jpg
IMG_3566_C1.jpg (705.55 KiB) Viewed 3737 times

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
eroel

Post by eroel »

Rainer:
The ERF is liable of causing a reflection of the objective and to avoid it, you need to tilt the ERF just enough to avoid it.
I would try it first square to the focuser inside tube and if it has a reflection, you can just mount the ERF on its cell with a small shim on one side so to cause a slight tilt of the glass rejection filter, or to null it if the one that comes with the ERF is too much.
If you do not use the diagonal, then you will have to make an extension of around 1.5" or more, depending on the size of the diagonal and how much does your focuser travels out.
Abrazo,
Eric.

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

eroel wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:10 pm Rainer:
The ERF is liable of causing a reflection of the objective and to avoid it you need to tilt the ERF just enough to avoid it.
I would try it first square to the focuser inside tube and if it has a reflection, you can just mount the ERF on its cell with a small shim on one side so to cause a slight tilt of the glass rejection filter, or to null it if the one that comes with the ERF is too much.
Abrazo,
Eric.
Hola Eric,

The ERF if I remember well is already tilted in its original Coronado cell.

The focuser travel is 63mm on the SKY 90 and I have a titipuchal (plenty) of extension tubes for it.

Tomorrow I am driving up to Tunas Valley and bring the ERF to CDMX and then start to design the holder and Pepe will machine it.

:seesaw

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

The adapter for my ERF 60mm for inserting into the SKY 90 arrived yesterday but now I did read this post

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24552

especially what Valery wrote here. Now I am confused :seesaw ¿?
ERF_hotair.JPG
ERF_hotair.JPG (66.85 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
and I have to deduct that it will be better using the SKY 90 with no ERF at all

:?:
IMG_3761_C1.jpg
IMG_3761_C1.jpg (212.08 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
IMG_3762_C1.jpg
IMG_3762_C1.jpg (152.52 KiB) Viewed 3505 times

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°