May 7 2018

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

May 7 2018

Post by PDB »

Hi,

since new problems with the Quark back to white light. C8 was too much, no sharp image (need to do some collimation tonight). Then placed some ND 3.8 astrosolar in the filter for the 80 mm. Not so good seeing, this is what I could do with : Astrosolar 3.8, 80mm f/6, Baader Solar Continuum and ASI 178MM. Maybe the 120 f/8 would have been better, but still need to make a white light filter for that scope.
C2018-05-07_T_13-45-34-0730_SC.jpg
C2018-05-07_T_13-45-34-0730_SC.jpg (139.87 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
(view image for larger image)

Rgrds,

Paul

rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: May 7 2018

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

Very nice Image.

May I ask what problem do you have with the QUARK ? I just purchsed one Chromosphere two weeks ago but since I came back from NY no Sun at all :-(

Yesterday I thought the Sun might lurk between some clouds and so I warmed it up, waiting but no, Sun did not show up ... :roll:

Rainer (9 Days older :lol:)

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi Rainer,

strange issue. The Quark look ok when I got it back from the US. Now there seem to be some stains (i think on the red filter at the back) They look as if there is some "greasy" smudges, but I don't know how that would have gotten there. This results in unsharp areas that can't be solved with flats.
In visual, it is usable, centering away from the spots, but for foto's not really usuable. (Maybe I did not notice it a few months ago, but I checked some captures and found no sign of it). Already tried to do some cleaning but that did not help

Here is an example:
look at the unsharp "smudged" area over the AR (captured 5th of May)
2018-05-05_T_11-49-03-0555_HA.jpg
2018-05-05_T_11-49-03-0555_HA.jpg (93.57 KiB) Viewed 2214 times
Rgrds,

Paul

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Terrific crisp WL :bow but very sad about the Quark (such woes with that beast).

Alexandra

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

PDB wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:21 pm Hi Rainer,

strange issue. The Quark look ok when I got it back from the US. Now there seem to be some stains (i think on the red filter at the back) They look as if there is some "greasy" smudges, but I don't know how that would have gotten there. This results in unsharp areas that can't be solved with flats.
In visual, it is usable, centering away from the spots, but for foto's not really usuable. (Maybe I did not notice it a few months ago, but I checked some captures and found no sign of it). Already tried to do some cleaning but that did not help

Here is an example:
look at the unsharp "smudged" area over the AR (captured 5th of May)

2018-05-05_T_11-49-03-0555_HA.jpg

Rgrds,

Paul
Hi Paul,

What a pity. Have you asked Daystar what it could be ?

Rainer

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Thanks Alexandra.

Rainer:
Not yet. Think I will first talk to my dealer. Sending it back to Daystar even under warranty cost a lot of money. Transport + customs fee (yes they charge when the unit comes back from the US) is around €200,00. If Daystar does not want to do it under warranty then at least another $300,00 to be added ...

Will need to think about how I will handle this, and maybe start saving for something else.

Anyway, won't have much time next months. Major surgery coming up in June, at least 1 month, maybe 2, out of business.

Seems 2018 did not take a good start :(

Regards,

Paul

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

PDB wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:16 pm Thanks Alexandra.

Rainer:
Not yet. Think I will first talk to my dealer. Sending it back to Daystar even under warranty cost a lot of money. Transport + customs fee (yes they charge when the unit comes back from the US) is around €200,00. If Daystar does not want to do it under warranty then at least another $300,00 to be added ...

Will need to think about how I will handle this, and maybe start saving for something else.

Anyway, won't have much time next months. Major surgery coming up in June, at least 1 month, maybe 2, out of business.

Seems 2018 did not take a good start :(

Regards,

Paul
Hi Paul,

Same problems here in Mexico with shipping back and forth.

Wish you a good recovery from Surgery. I had one, one year ago and was 7 days in Hospital and then 1 month staring holes into the walls at home.

Rainer

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Oh! good luck Paul and get better soon, I shall worry about you now. Keep posting to let us know you are OK :)

Alexandra

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Keep posting to let us know you are OK :)
Thanks Alexandra, will do.

So here is what I see on my Quark. There are also some areas which look like a thin layer of transparent glue. Difficult to photograph.
And difficult to judge if it is on the inside or outside of the last filter.
Exp_20180509_0001.jpg
Exp_20180509_0001.jpg (130.23 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
Rgrds,

Paul

krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by krakatoa1883 »

Very good disc, Paul. Sorry to read of your health problems, I wish you a prompt recovery.

Based on the photo I would say that there is something condensed inside your Quark.

Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment
eroel

Post by eroel »

Paul:
Hope you recover your health soon.
Many years ago when Del Woods was Daystar owner, I had an issue like that, probably the change of pressure (atmospheric due to plane travel), got some sort of oily stuff out of one of my Daystar Ha filters, so I cleaned the residue and then the Filter performed good up to that point.
Looks like some oily separation is used between two optical surfaces inside the etalon and it got out due to an atmospheric change of pressure.
I don´t know if the filters still get that oily substance between two or more optical surfaces, but that fixed mine many years ago.
My 2 cents on the issue.
Best regards,
Eric.

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Thanks Raf & Eric

Eric: you might be right. One of my thoughts was that the filter had become too cold. Solar Spectrum describes such issues when the filter "freezes". I haven't used it below 5°C so if that is the case must have happened before (transport by plane?). But what you describe sounds reasonable. I wonder if I should open the filter and have a look ... (That voids any warranty, but with all return costs and risks I might as well buy a new one)

It must be on the inside, because I already did some gentle cleaning on the outside, but that did not solve a thing.

If anyone has experience opening a Quark (and got it re-assembled :) ) , I am interested to know how it was done.

Regards,

Paul

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

PDB wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:13 pm Thanks Raf & Eric

Eric: you might be right. One of my thoughts was that the filter had become too cold. Solar Spectrum describes such issues when the filter "freezes". I haven't used it below 5°C so if that is the case must have happened before (transport by plane?). But what you describe sounds reasonable. I wonder if I should open the filter and have a look ... (That voids any warranty, but with all return costs and risks I might as well buy a new one)

It must be on the inside, because I already did some gentle cleaning on the outside, but that did not solve a thing.

If anyone has experience opening a Quark (and got it re-assembled :) ) , I am interested to know how it was done.

Regards,

Paul
Hi Paul,

I met for the first time with Jen Winters, owner Daystar filters, during NEAF 2018 and talked quite some time with her. I got the impression she is a very accessible business partner and if you ask her about this problem and that you would like to open it due to the reasons you mention shipping costs and taxes I guess she will send you instructions how to deal with that.

regards Rainer

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

Hi Paul
From what I have been reading the Quarks are prone to condensation I guess because of the heating as they cool they will draw in the surrounding damp air.
Seems to be best thing to do first is pack in silica gel for a while to remove the moisture
If still there it will need the filters removing and cleaning
It's worth removing unscrewing the barlow to help the silica and see if there is moisture on the lower filter
Hope this helps

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

keep us updated as you get on...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!