Quarks: Chromosphere vs Prominence

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Bruce Girrell

Quarks: Chromosphere vs Prominence

Post by Bruce Girrell »

Has anyone here had the opportunity to test Daystar Quark Chromosphere and Prominence models side-by-side?

How much difference do you actually see? Are the proms really that subdued on the Chromosphere model? How much disk detail is lost with the Prominence model? Is it really worth buying two different versions? If you have (or have had) both models, would you buy them both again or simply choose one?

Any other comments on these products?

Thanks

Bruce G

Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Quarks: Chromosphere vs Prominence

Post by Valery »

All depends of a given Quark uniformity. If we define that non-uniformity is the same magnitude, say, +/-0.1A , then the more narrow etalon, the high a relative non-uniformity. Say, the bandpass is 0,6A, then a relative non-uniformity is 0,6A/0.1A=6 . If the bandpass is 0,3A then a relative non-uniformity is 0,3A/0,1A=3. This is a huge difference especially when imaging with a contrast increasing.

So, all depends. If the Chromosphere version can be set a the tuning knob so that there is no too much non-uniformity then this one is OK for you. If not, better to go with Prominence version about 0,6A and better uniformity.

Hope this helps.

Valery.
Last edited by Valery on Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Hi Bruce,

This is the aged old question, and basically, almost everyone will advise you to go with the chromosphere model because you can see prominences with it just fine as well as superior surface contrast/detail. So if you have any interest in the surface, just go with the chromosphere model. You'll still see promincnes just fine! If your sole interest is the prominences and you have zero interest, ever, with the surface, then maybe consider the prominence version, but I can't really recommend going that way because inevitably you'll want to see surface detail too when there are no major prominences to look at. I imagine the prominence version would be slightly brighter, but, ultimately, I can see prominences with the chromosphere model just fine, plenty bright.

Personally I see no reason to bother with the prominence version, the magnesium version, nor the sodium version. The Chromosphere and Calcium versions are about all that's worth while, at least to me.

Here's an example from the Chromosphere version:

Very best,

Bruce Girrell

Post by Bruce Girrell »

Valery,

I'm not sure that I comprehend what you are getting at. How does this nonuniformity show up in an image?
The Chromosphere model is tunable, but its FWHM remains constant at somewhere between 0.5A and 0.3A (depending on the individual unit), if I understand correctly.

Marty,

Thanks. I was leaning toward the Chromosphere because I had seen photos of proms made using it and they seemed fine, not like the detail had to be dragged out of the last couple of A/D bits. And a double stacked etalon also doesn't have all that much of an issue with the proms it seems.