Solar finder woes

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Solar finder woes

Post by denababy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:50 am

Hi everyone I have finally ordered a Quark chromosphere and waiting for it to arrive so in the meantime I am looking for a Solar finder to put onto my Explore Scientific scope. The problem is that the scope has an unusual foot, that, I think can be changed. I contacted the shop where I originally got the scope in the hope they would be able to help but either I talk in a foreign language or something but as yet I have not had one useful answer. There are no Astonomy shops in Leicester uk and as I am nearly deaf I have to do everything by email. Can anyone help please please please.

MalVeauX
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: Solar finder woes

Post by MalVeauX » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:37 pm

Hello,

I use these:

http://www.dynapod.com/dyna-hp1.html

They just strap on, and you're good to go.

Very best,

denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by denababy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:07 pm

Thanks Marty do you know where I can get one in the UK?

MalVeauX
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by MalVeauX » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:16 pm

I don't; but it looks like they ship international and are still cheaper than a basic Sol Finder. I have a televue sol finder and the helio-pod. I use both. They work the same. The Helio-pod can go on all my scopes though, so I use it the most.

You can also just put a solar film filter in front of a finder scope that is already aligned on your scope. I do this too.

Here's the helio-pod on my 120mm, and if you look at the 40mm finder scope on its back, it has a small 50mm solar film filter on it, so I can just look through that and get a good wide field of view and center up on the sun. I use the helio-pod simply to point in the right direction, then I look through the solar film filtered finder scope to center up with the big scope (which operates at 4200mm when I image/view). Next to it, a televue Sol finder is held onto that 80mm scope with a rubber band. Does the job either way. I prefer the helio-pod for simplicity as it was designed to be banded on like that. Ultimately though I have to have a finder scope with a solar film filter because my big scope is way too long to attempt to find the sun without it.

Very best,

denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by denababy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:48 pm

It has been quite a while since I started this post so here is an update. I purchased a Daystar Quark along with a Baader uv/ir filter (2”) and as suggested by Marty, a hello-pod, I am waiting for delivery of everything but when they arrive I will be able to use my Explore Scientific 80mm scope, in the meantime I have been collecting data with my Lunt 50 ready to do some processing when the weather is not as good in the uk as it has been for nearly 5 weeks, in Leicester that is.
You never know I may post some pics when I consider there is anything I consider worth showing.

Ewan
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Ewan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:26 pm

Personally I have never had the need for a solar finder, once my ERF is on I slew to roughly where the sun is & then slew slowly until I get a nice red disc from the rear showing on my hand, connect the Quark & it's good to go ;-)

Good luck with your new solar set up I am sure you will enjoy it.
Atb