A new take on the Daystar Interference Eliminator(+more)

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
gabrieli
Way More Fun to Share It!!

A new take on the Daystar Interference Eliminator(+more)

Post by gabrieli »

Unfortunately, July 23 with its proms was mostly hazy or overcast with no imaging prospects and so I looked back to July 20 with an unposted image when the AR of that day was near the edge.
p.25.jpg
p.25.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 1144 times

Also, I came up with what I think is a slight improvement on the Daystar Eliminator.
This device is already very convenient for the speed with which it lets you tilt your
camera to eliminate Newton's rings. But, unlike the tilter from Teleskop Service and the ZWO version which are both slower in use, which allow you to quickly attach any camera with a 1.25" nosepiece, you have to detach the Interference Eliminator from one camera's c mount and then reattach the device to a second camera. This gives dust a chance to enter the sensor compartments.

I modified a T mount version of the Daystar Eliminator by attaching a T to 1.25" nosepiece on one side and a T to 1.25" holder on the other. I've also sealed the nose piece on each camera I use with a UV/IR cut filter (ZWO has some inexpensive ones).
This way, the sensor box is sealed and cameras can be slipped into the eyepiece holder at will with no worries about dust. This way you have the operational speed of the unmodified Eliminator and the abilty to quickly attach any camera as with the Teleskop Service tilter.

The c mount version of the Eliminator is permanently attached to my higher resolution Blackfly.
DSC00243b.jpg
DSC00243b.jpg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 1144 times
On another matter

I found that recording high frame rate, high resolution files in 12 bit or higher mode tends to overwhelm the physical memory buffer in Spinnaker and after about 700 frames the the recording stops and then the buffer empties and records the files in storage.

I read about a kind of SSD that uses a PCIe standard that can read and write many times faster than a SATA SSD.
My laptop indicates in the tech specs on the brand website that it supports up to 256 Gb SSD PCIe storage and 1Tb SATA SSD storage in a second slot. However, when you read about PCIe SSDs from various brands, they never mention to check the storage limits of your laptop. I interpreted this to mean that maybe certain laptop models are marketed towards people that don't need more than 256Gb of storage and maybe the laptop can actually run a capacity greater than 256Gb. Everyone I asked at the store indicated that an SSD greater than 256Gb wouldn't be recognized. Acer support said that 256Gb is the largest capacity tested and verified for my laptop but they didn't really exclude a larger capacity.

So, taking a gamble, I purchased a Western Digital Black series 500Gb PCIe SSD, cloned my boot disk to it.
When I booted from my new PCIe SSD, it workd flawlessly.

Then I wanted to verify its reading and writing speeds. I used AS SSD benchmark and found that this disk performs exactly as claimed:

Reading speed: 3400 Mb/s
Writing speed: 2400 Mb/s

The weather has been uncooperative since I made this upgrade and I'm anxious the good weather and solar features for a real life test.

Lou
Last edited by gabrieli on Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: A new take on the Daystar Interference Eliminator

Post by marktownley »

Good tip thanks Lou. I have the C-mount daystar eliminator too. I think the only thing I would change is have the bigger T-thread version, as I can just start seeing signs of vignetting when I have a lot of tilt with it.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
marios i.

Re: A new take on the Daystar Interference Eliminator(+more)

Post by marios i. »

Thank you

Marios

Marios S.Ioannou
My Gallery https://www.flickr.com/photos/195609307@N07/albums

Sketcher/Visual Observer

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: A new take on the Daystar Interference Eliminator(+more)

Post by Montana »

Very interesting read, thanks Lou, super image too :bow

Alexandra