CBSAP shutting down September 1st

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

CBSAP shutting down September 1st

Post by solarchat » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:24 am

ANNOUNCEMENT!

On September 1st, 2018 I will be transitioning over to "Sunlit Earth" and it's mission full-time and discontinuing the Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project mode of operation. Dragon*Con will be my last official public event as CBSAP with my great friend and inspiration Ben Jenkins.

I would like to believe that we have made a difference in the world with our program. It has been the most satisfying thing I have ever done to pay back the society that allowed me to be so fortunate through education.
I have given it my all for ten years, 50% of my income, 100% of my time and delivered the program directly to over 300,000 students at schools in 27 countries.

We redefined modern astronomy outreach by introducing very high end gear and imaging stations into the mix back in 2008 and I hope that those that we have financed and inspired will go on to do even better than we did.

Thank you to the less than 1% of participants that financed ALL of the program and to our awesome corporate sponsors Meade Instruments and Celestron for continuing to stand with us. These are quality companies that care about the hobby. Please support them.
I will remain a Team Celestron Member and a Meade Brand Ambassador in order to continue to promote science in our world as it is sorely needed now more than ever. I am going to transition to a solo operation instead of trying to pay for everyone else to do outreach. I will be concentrating on Sunlight from its origin in the Sun to the myriad of ways it is manipulated by our terrestrial environment to bring us the natural world (Sunlit Earth!!).
Monthly donors, please continue your donations as the nonprofit will still be going strong promoting science. I understand if some of you want to pull out but Im hoping that instead of a yearly fundraiser we can get a couple dozen more monthly donors.

The CBSAP name and assets, including this forum, will stay online and operational for the time being. Feel free to use it and our brand for any non-commercial program you are doing to teach free science. If anyone is interested in taking over this forum please ask. You will have to arrange for the transfer of files to your host or take over responsibility for this hosting package. it is paid through 2023, I believe. If the forum breaks again, it will just stay broke as it costs a substantial amount to keep it up and running when it goes down and we just can't afford to do it any longer.

Our insurance for outreach events will be voided on Sept 1st and we will no longer be giving away gear and glasses to everyone around the world. It just isn't financially feasible any longer.

I will continue to use the fine Celestron and Meade products to provide free science training to anyone who wants it but I will be doing this solo and not as a global group.

A word of warning to those interested in community science outreach...this is NOT a way to get personal fame. It is a desperate attempt to stem the tide of rampant anti-science and nationalist extremism that is destroying our world. Science education is the great equalizer and doesn't care where you are from or how you look, it is science and our only hope for survival as a species. You do it to benefit your society, not yourself. If you're in it for personal glory or to get famous, do something else.

The hardest working people associated with CBSAP-Roger and Linda Kennedy and Ben Jenkins were also, by choice, the least known and least applauded in our selfie based world. I always tried to stay in the background and watch other people succeed through our program and I really hope that some of these people will continue on this tradition of totally free outreach and giving away their gear to help others rather than falling in to the "me,me,me" trap that has become so common in our world.
Again, to those of you who truly got it and made it work, and you know who you are...,THANK YOU for being decent people.

Stephen Ramsden
Founder and Director
Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
Sunlt Earth!!!
501c3 nonprofit USA
Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Re: CBSAP shutting down September 1st

Post by Merlin66 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:36 am

Stephen,
I can understand the reasoning about your decision and sincerely wish you all the best for your future activities.
As you know the Solar Chat forum has become the best solar forum available.
It allows the transfer of knowledge and data on all aspects of solar observing and is honestly "home" to many of us.
It would be a very sad day if we were to loose the forum and the archival material we have built up......
"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ast ... scopy/info
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer

gabrieli
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by gabrieli » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:12 am

Hi, Stephen

I would like to express my gratitude to you for this forum. This is where I learned so much of the technical details about this hobby from so many generous and knowledgeable members.

I wish you the best in your new endeavors.

Lou

eroel

Post by eroel » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:16 am

Stephen:
Thanks for being a friend that greets you always with open arms.
Without doubt, this is the best solar forum around that gathers people from all nationalities and all over the world.
Here we have learned from members experiences and also shared our personal ones without selfishness, that is invaluable.
I wish you the best in your new adventure, and send you a big hug.
Eric.

JohnW
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by JohnW » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:57 am

Hi Stephen,
Thank you for your efforts over the years - I hope the forum continues. It certainly does take up a lot of time and money. Well done and best wishes for your future.
Regards,
John Wilkinson

Montana

Post by Montana » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:03 am

Dear Stephen,
We all wish you the very best for the future and thank you very much for all the time and effort you have put in for us all and for all the students you have helped to see and learn about the Sun :bow2

Solarchat - you are my friends, you are my family. I am sure we can all pull together and make this work. If we all had a small job it would make the load lighter. There are folks on here who are good at coding, as I have said before I could do the solar picture of the day. Merlin and Mark are great moderators. If it broke I am sure we can all chip in. At least we have till 2023 :hamster: we can do it folks :hamster:

Alexandra

mattwastell

Post by mattwastell » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:46 am

Thank you Stephen for all you (& the greater team) have done in sharing Solar science with the masses - your dedication & commitment is beyond compare.
This forum has been an additional bonus in your endeavours & I truly hope it can continue into the future as a very strong community has grown. I guess we will see - I cannot offer any technical support but am very happy to chip in any other way I can.
All the very best with your new direction & congratulations!
Matt Wastell

Look up, look good!

http://www.pbase.com/mattwastell

astrovale
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by astrovale » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:03 am

Haven't been very active lately (actually not at all in a very, very long time) as disaster struck my family and I'm still trying to pick up the pieces both for me and my parents and sister.

I read this and I felt that bad things keep on happening!
Stephen, I also would like to thank you for this forum but mostly for the defense of science and the scientific approach through education. What you have done in these years is nothing short of amazing and you should be very proud of it.

It is a very sad news. I wish all the luck you deserve in whatever new enterprise you will embark on.
Take care
Luca
PS: I'm proud to have the charlie bates cap: it'll be a great memento..... and perhaps a collector's item soon!

OTangen
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by OTangen » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:19 am

Dear Stephen!

I am so glad to have met you at NEAF many times and experienced the enthusiasm that you radiate. I hope that you still enjoy meeting young people and will spread the word of solar view enjoyment, even in these low solar activity times.

Best regards from
Oivind Tangen

GreatAttractor
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by GreatAttractor » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:25 pm

Stephen, thank you for the priceless popularization and outreach work you've done.
I'm sure the Solarchatters can keep this wonderful forum running.
My software:
Stackistry — an open-source cross-platform image stacker
ImPPG — stack post-processing and animation alignment
My images

SW Mak-Cass 127, ATM Hα scope (D=90 mm, LS50 etalon), Lunt LS50THa, ATM SSM, ATM Newt 300/1500 mm, PGR Chameleon 3 mono (ICX445)

PDB
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by PDB » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:58 pm

Sorry to hear this, but anyway Stephen many thanks for all the work and all the best in your new challenge.
Regarding the forum, on technical level I can always try to help. If any docs are available I will gladly take a look.

Kind regards,

Paul

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:26 pm

Hi Stephen...

As echoed by everyone so far, I wish you the best in your future endeavors and thanks you for establishing this forum where can all share and learn our common interest in solar astronomy.

For me the group is like extended family in many ways...scattered around the globe, but visiting the site and sharing experiences and images is like sitting down with friends for a morning coffee or an evening at a pub sharing the days events. I joined back in the winter of 2012, at the invitation of Walter Koch, and have been fortunate enough to have met many from here at NEAF.

It was always good to see you at NEAF Stephen, and have always admired your devotion to sharing the hobby with students...I can only hope that it has helped many of them develop a greater interest in the sciences and ask questions to formulate their own understanding. Too many today simply believe what they see on social media being fact without verifying the truth (or lack of) in what they read.

Take care and do hope to cross paths again,
Brian
Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory

Cambray, ON Canada

ffellah

Post by ffellah » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:43 am

Stephen: thank you for all you have done in outreach all over the world but especially for starting this forum. It is truly an international community with everybody offering the best they can share: talk about a successful project of international cooperation !

It really feels like a family spread all over the world. I wish you the best in your future endeavors and truly hope all of us can keep this forum working in the future. You should be very proud of what you accomplished !

Franco

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:51 am

I very much appreciate all of the kind words from my friends here.
I have no intention of stopping the Solarchat forum. if something comes up with it we will deal with that later. It seems to be working good for now and like I said, it is paid for a few more years.
Again, I am not planning on stopping promoting of science. I am just going to do it as a solo act instead of supporting the other 27 countries involved.
You guys have been an inspiration and I’m sure you will continue doing great things on your own.
The climate in our country is horrible for nonprofits and science in general. It has been a real struggle ever since the Amazon debacle concerning solar glasses.
I plan on putting my all into sunlit earth and trying to bridge the gap between nature and landscape photography and the star that makes it all happen.
it was not an easy decision to do this. Yes, there were dozens and dozens of horrible disappointments in human nature along the way but there were also several instances where I met people that changed my entire outlook for the better.
I know, I’m rambling. Let’s just keep going with the form and see what happens.
Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA

Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:38 am

Good luck Stephen you have my full support.

robert

Post by robert » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:17 am

Derek Klepp wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:38 am
Good luck Stephen you have my full support.
Thanks for the forum, Stephen, brilliant!
Robert
images and animations http://tinyurl.com/h5bgoso
2018 images https://www.flickr.com/photos/69734017@ ... 1234171714
2017 images http://tinyurl.com/gvk9k3k
ED80. SW200. ES127. Celestron-150mm-PST mod
LS60PT-LS60F-B1200. B600-Cak. PGR-Ch3-IMX265

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:54 am

The programme has been fantastic and the people it has benefited countless. I'm sure you'll have fun with sunlit Earth. I'm glad the forum is still going to be here, I will do everything I can to support its continuation.
http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!

Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:19 am

It sounds like you've had a real rollercoaster ride, Stephen, in your endeavours to educate an entertain the thousands of kids around the world that CBSAP has reached over the years. I'm confident that those concerned are all the better for your selfless efforts, bringing science to the younger masses. Good luck with Sunlit Earth. I'm sure you'll make a valued contribution.

It would be great news indeed if this forum could continue. I for one would sorely miss it and the friends I've made, virtual and real, if it were to be lost.

All the best, Stephen.

Stu.
Lunt LS60THa B1200 PTFT
150mm H-alpha Solar telescope with Lunt35 mod
DMK41, Basler acA1920-155
NEQ6 Pro-mount
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence)
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/

pedro

Post by pedro » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:07 pm

Just read this thread.

All the best for the future Stephen, and thanks for all your efforts.

I hope that Solarchat stays online for a few more years

Bruce G
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Bruce G » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:10 am

I have only been here a short time, but it is already evident how much you have been putting out there. Thank you for all you have done and best wishes.

Bruce G

MalVeauX
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by MalVeauX » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:30 pm

Sad news, but you have to enjoy the ride while it's there. Thanks for all your efforts, it's not unnoticed and we all appreciate it.

Very best,

marios i.
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by marios i. » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:47 am

All the best Stephen.

Marios

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:21 pm

you folks are very kind. thank you.
Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA

p_zetner
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by p_zetner » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:26 am

Dear Stephen;
I just wanted to add my thanks to you for all you’ve done to promote science and astronomy through your outreach with CBSAP and also want to send my best wishes for success with your new endeavour. I’m also very grateful for this forum and the unique opportunity it provides for all of us to share our interest in solar science and imaging. Thanks for keeping it operating so smoothly for all these years and I hope we can all keep it running for many more.
All the best.
Peter.

_Zakalwe
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by _Zakalwe » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:04 pm

Stephen:
I can only echo what others have so eloquently said.
Your passion and determination will, I hope, have been rewarded by seeing all of those young minds that you've opened up to the world of science. I'm sure that many future engineers, scientist, astronomers will look back and identify the initial moment that put them on a career of learning and discovery as being a larger than life guy in a sun costume sharing his passion.
I wish you very best wishes with your future endeavours and hope that you pop back here regularly.

Take Care
Stephen J