Today's Solar Proms & Active Region | Quark | July 31 2018

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Today's Solar Proms & Active Region | Quark | July 31 2018

Post by MalVeauX »

Heya,

Man today was rough. I woke up and saw clouds, but saw some sucker holes. This is 9:30am and the sun has barely cleared my East facing Live Oaks. The seeing was dreadful. I started out with my 6" to see the prominences. Most of the big proms from the past two days are gone. Only one major pair remains and they're still quite nice. The seeing was so bad that I grabbed some quick data on those proms at that scale (with the 6" and Quark) then moved over to my ST80 masked to 60mm and imaged at that scale. I could actually see things at this scale, as the seeing was bad, but lower scale really helped smooth things over. I grabbed a little data at 60mm with the Quark. Then the thunder and lightning started up, it was barely past 10:30am at this point and closed up the observatory and went inside. The torrential downpour begins. Sigh. Florida summer really is a bummer. It's just not pleasant at all. So, unfortunately I didn't get really good data and I'm not really happy with the large scale resolution images, they're very poor frankly. But I'll share them regardless at least to examine some of the intricate bits within those big proms and the new active region we have, it's currently not that active, but it's interesting none the less.

Scale 1: Orion 400mm F5 Refractor (Masked to 60mm F6.6) + UV/IR Cut Filter + 130mm Extensions + Quark + ASI174MM
Scale 2: Celestron 150mm F8 Refractor + UV/IR Cut Filter + 210mm Extensions + Quark + ASI174MM

Really bad seeing for this scale... ugh..

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And here's why my seeing was so bad... A nasty storm front rolled in from the West, pushing all that air into a turbulent mess. I'm shut down for now.

Sigh.
ChieflandWeather_bubye.jpg
ChieflandWeather_bubye.jpg (82.24 KiB) Viewed 821 times
Very best,

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Today's Solar Proms & Active Region | Quark | July 31 2018

Post by marktownley »

You got some sun and nice images Marty! Sometimes the seeing just wont support the bigger apertures.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

I've been defeated 3 times with large aperture so far. Two times, i got zero, literally deleted the data and moved on. This 3rd time, i got some data, but not much I could work out of it, it was just too poor with bad seeing. I grabbed 3000 frames on those and even 31 of those frames stacked out to a blurry mess. Sigh.

Been raining ever since!

Very best,

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Never mind Marty, at least you tried and you got some lovely pics, I think you are very good at presentation :) :bow

Just wait till winter, I bet you get lovely calm blue sky days then and we will all be envious :)

Alexandra

eroel

Post by eroel »

Marty:
Lovely shots in spite of weather.
Regards,
Eric.