AR12717 With The HaT - 4th August

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

AR12717 With The HaT - 4th August

Post by marktownley »

For some time (past couple of years!) i've been finding I always get best results with my Quark in an f7 setup, and have been frustrated with my struggles to get a decent image from it with the HaT, it's not a criticism of either piece of equipment just an observation that synergy was not taking place. So, I decided for a radical shift of direction and ordered the 0.7x Celestron Edge HD reducer, to bring the focal ratio of the HaT down to f7. Well this morning gave the first opportunity to test my new acquisition, conditions were less than perfect with a general sky cover of high cloud / haze punctuated with passing clouds. Straight away I could see I had considerably better contrast on the screen and also visually. The SSM was giving me seeing troughing out at 1.5" (good for me!) so I set the plugin running to grab some frames.

Imagear12717-Ha-bw by Mark Townley, on Flickr

Imagear12717-Ha-colour by Mark Townley, on Flickr

I'm reasonably pleased with the results as i've not had much fruit with the HaT this year. Camera was the PGR IMX249. Weather forecast is set to get better over the next couple of days so hopefully get some more chances to test this setup.

In other news, and from this mornings AIA1700 image, a little ephemeral region up around 50N may indicate the first signs of solar cycle 25.

Imagelatest_4096_1700 by Mark Townley, on Flickr

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
ffellah
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: AR12717 With The HaT - 4th August

Post by ffellah »

What a great closeup image, Mark ! Your Quark seems very uniform: my one seems to have some brighter and darker areas, I may have to talk to Daystar about it.

Franco

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks Franco. Try using the flat field feature in Firecapture it works very well at balancing out uneven fields...

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Valery

Post by Valery »

ffellah wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:19 pm my one seems to have some brighter and darker areas, I may have to talk to Daystar about it.

Franco
To talk to DayStar about this is a time waste. They will advice you to order a PE grade device for $$$$.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
Valery

Post by Valery »

marktownley wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:34 pm Thanks Franco. Try using the flat field feature in Firecapture it works very well at balancing out uneven fields...
Yes, but this will not correct the real contrast of details, especially if an images has been taken with some shift from the best overall position.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
stef41
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by stef41 »

very nice close up! :)

eroel

Post by eroel »

Mark:
Like the CaK FD, really good, clean and crisp.
Best regards,
Eric.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks guys! Can't take credit for the 'CaK' Eric, it is the AIA1700 image.

Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp »

Finally some satisfaction Mark .Always pays to keep experimenting and a fine result.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Oh I thought the CaK was yours :lol: it is certainly good enough to be one of yours :)
The HaT pictures are very good Mark, much more resolution, contrast and detail :bow it will be cloudy forever now ;)
Alexandra