A new solar cycle #25?

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!

A new solar cycle #25?

Post by Valery »

Mark T. writes:

"In other news, and from this mornings AIA1700 image, a little ephemeral region up around 50N may indicate the first signs of solar cycle 25".

Do you think, Mark, this is really a sign of a new solar cycle and we can hope for slow solar activity rising???

Only last year there were a lot of larger spots and even gigantic flares (Sept 6).

Where can we read some scientific confirmation that such a sign is the new cycle predecessor? Anyone can ellaborate?

Thanks,

Valery.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: A new solar cycle #25?

Post by marktownley »

Hi Valery.

Here is the AIA1700 image from yesterday morning.

Imagelatest_4096_1700 by Mark Townley, on Flickr

I've been following the work of my buddy Scott William McIntosh for many years now on his models for how solar cycles develop, he is the director of the High Altitude Observatory, he talks about how bands of magnetic activity migrate in latitude (and longitude) across the Sun. Our spots and active regions (from cycle 24) are all pretty much on the solar equator now, but we expect to see the signs of the next solar cycle (25) forming at latitudes of about 40/50 degrees, which is exactly where Saturdays ephemeral region formed. I asked Scott directly and his words as follows: "Likely, at the very northern edge of the band - little ephemeral region. The body of the band is at about 40 deg - based on other measures. If this is the first we’ll see stuff around this latitude and longitude for a while."

Do I think this is a sign of the new solar cycle, absolutely. A solar cycle will start off quiet with small scale features that will slowly build up - exactly what our larger aperture scopes will be good at spotting. The ephemeral region is just one of these small scale features, as the magnetic field strength increases then we get pores and spots. You only have to look on all the mainstream science websites at the moment who are touting the sun has no activity and is blank - well we all know from images here on solar chat this is not technically true; there's still quite a lot going on, if we look in just continuum the sun is pretty plain.

Cycle 24 is currently finishing faster than expected - see https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/solar-cy ... g-forecast so it isn't out of the question if the current solar cycle should start sooner, indeed, look at the graphic from the Royal Observatory Belgium, they have activity increasing as soon as the end of this year.
wolfjmms.png
wolfjmms.png (139.56 KiB) Viewed 1699 times
Wouldn't it be nice if activity did increase then! This activity will initially manifest in these ephemeral regions and also bright points in CaK light at these higher latitudes like this weekend, we just need to keep a look out for them, i'm confident they will be there. I don't really think people were looking for this sort of stuff at the end of 23 / start of 24. Will be interesting to look back at this in a couple of months time.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp »

Thanks Mark I admit without activity I have become lazy.

Valery

Post by Valery »

Derek, this is because of insufficient your main solar scope telescope caliber. With my C11 I always (!) see some activity worth to look at. The only I need is better seeing because as smaller the subject the better seeing it requires to show us all it's detail.

Mark, thanks a lot for this useful information. Looking for more update and new signs of the new cycle.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
christian viladrich

Post by christian viladrich »

Let's hope this is the begining of some activity :-)

Christian Viladrich
Co-author of "Planetary Astronomy"
http://planetary-astronomy.com/
Editor of "Solar Astronomy"
http://www.astronomiesolaire.com/
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Very very interesting and well spotted Mark!
Alexandra

pedro

Post by pedro »

Thanks for the very interesting info Mark, please keep us posted

pedro

Post by pedro »

I was able to detect the high latitude AR

Attachments
sun_TV101_20180804_GS3-U3-28S4M_CaK.jpg
sun_TV101_20180804_GS3-U3-28S4M_CaK.jpg (368.67 KiB) Viewed 1514 times

Valery

Post by Valery »

pedro wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:48 pm I was able to detect the high latitude AR

Congratulates, Pedro! Lets hope this will be Mark's and your's sun cycle 25 begin.

Valery

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi

see also my post viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24880 (WL images - 540 nm)

Paul

pedro

Post by pedro »

SUN (20180804) WL, CaK & H-alpha (08:30 UTC). TV101 F/5.4, LUNT 1200 CaK Module, SM60, BF30, PGR GRASSHOPPE 3 GS3-U3-28S4M

It is visible in all wavelengths. Paul's HR WL image is great