Solar Disc Mosaic, AR2817, Prom | Aug 17th 2018

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Solar Disc Mosaic, AR2817, Prom | Aug 17th 2018

Post by MalVeauX »

Heya,

Pretty poor seeing this morning despite being a fairly clear sky. It's cloudy now of course. I scrapped most of my data at larger scale from the session. I ended up doing a mosaic with the ST80 masked to 60mm and the Quark, with 9 overlapping exposures, using a high gamma exposure to capture the surface & proms in a single exposure and process them out separately later to reduce my capture time. Seems to work well enough so far.
setup_08172018.jpg
setup_08172018.jpg (262.63 KiB) Viewed 759 times
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

White light for comparison:

Very best,

MalVeauX

Re: Solar Disc Mosaic, AR2817, Prom | Aug 17th 2018

Post by MalVeauX »

I did a different method than my norm this time around. For this one, I used a high gamma exposure, 5ms exposure time, and only enough gain to fill my histogram to about 80% without clipping data to the right. I also flat calibrated this at these values by defocusing. From this single video, I stack about 101 frames (from 6000) to increase signal to noise ratio for hard stretches of the histogram. I do the stretching in IMPPG, one for the surface, one for the limb and proms with different deconvolution and different unsharpen mask values. I then use photoshop to make a composite from the two exported images and use my usual work flow from there. The point however is to show that the image came from a single video capture for both the proms & surface. I'm still practicing this method, but I like it so far, to cut down my overall imaging time and get equally good data when seeing is good which is a huge plus at this scale.

While this may not be a superb image, I just wanted to show what could be done from a single exposure with a single stack system at large scale in fairly poor conditions with truly low end equipment.

(Click link to Flickr for full size image if you care to see the details, numbers, etc):

Result:

Very best,

ffellah

Post by ffellah »

Nice work, Marty !

Franco

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Terrific work Marty and thanks for the processing method it is very helpful for everyone :bow

Alexandra