Magnificent Filaprom (Animation!), AR Flare Activity & Huge Filament | Aug 19th 2018

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Magnificent Filaprom (Animation!), AR Flare Activity & Huge Filament | Aug 19th 2018

Post by MalVeauX »

Heya,

Seeing conditions were actually decent this morning. I was surprised at how steady the seeing was. It was about 9:30am or so and the sun was just barely making it over my Eastern tree line of Live Oaks. I grabbed data at a smaller scale as I assumed seeing would be poor again today, and after grabbing a bunch of lower scale data with fair seeing, I went to switch to large scale especially after seeing today's big prom develop into a filaprom (sweet!), and of course, Florida weather, by 10am it was raining and I had to close the roof on my observatory and didn't get any large scale data. Oh well. Hopefully someone else imaged this filamprom in high resolution, or animated, it's simply gorgeous! I wish I had a double stack system just for prominences like these. Sigh. Anyhow, grabbed some data on the new AR (it was flaring a little) and the big filament still on the face of the disc.

Celestron 152mm F8 + Quark + 0.5x Focal Reducer (reduce scale) + ASI174MM
Rained out by 10am Bleh!
Rained out by 10am Bleh!
setup_rained_out_08192018.jpg (140.95 KiB) Viewed 782 times

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Very best,

MalVeauX

Re: Magnificent Filaprom (Animation!), AR Flare Activity & Huge Filament | Aug 19th 2018

Post by MalVeauX »

Update:

Animation time!

Well the rain passed on and I had some cloudy, but workable skies. I decided to try to get more data on that prominence group and do an animation. I used the ST80 (masked to 60mm) and shrouded everything with reflective insulation to keep things from overheating. Quark and tilt adapter used. I did a flat calibration frame. I used maximum gamma and minimal gain to reach 85% histogram fill approximately, to get both prom and surface in a single exposure. I used sequence capturing and set it to fire off 300 frames every 5 minutes and just let it go. I managed to get 300 frames every 5 minutes x 16 frames (80 minutes real time) before the clouds took over. Animation is at 5 frames per second. I batch stacked in AS!2, batch processed in IMPPG and batch aligned in IMPPG. Some batch-action processes done in CS5.1. Animation made in PIPP to output as GIF & AVI.

Conditions:
conditions_0819218.jpg
conditions_0819218.jpg (58.09 KiB) Viewed 769 times
Capture setup:
capture_setup_08192018.jpg
capture_setup_08192018.jpg (125.72 KiB) Viewed 769 times
Scope setup:
setup_scopes_08192018.jpg
setup_scopes_08192018.jpg (168.78 KiB) Viewed 769 times
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Results:

(This is a large file, please allow time for it to fully load and loop, it's full resolution)

Color:

B&W:

Very best,

ffellah

Re: Magnificent Filaprom (Animation!), AR Flare Activity & Huge Filament | Aug 19th 2018

Post by ffellah »

Very nice animation and images, Marty

Franco

p_zetner

Post by p_zetner »

Terrific images and very cool animation, Marty.
You seem to be winning in your battles with clouds and seeing!

Cheers, Peter.

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Thanks all, :bow

Just Diet Pepsi, I need all the caffeine I can get. I'm not good unless things are twitching! ;)

Very best,

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

A very entertaining post Marty, what beautiful views you have, I wish I lived where you do. Some super images again and I really enjoyed the movie entertainment :bow

Alexandra