Sunspot 2719 in 3 wavelengths, Convection Cells, Proms | Aug 20th

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Sunspot 2719 in 3 wavelengths, Convection Cells, Proms | Aug 20th

Post by MalVeauX »

Heya,

Woke up to another sky with some potential, the clouds were around, but not bad, the seeing was dreadful at first. Then it just snapped into good seeing for a brief amount of time (around 0930am, then clouds rolled in by 1000am), so I quickly grabbed data on the newly designated AR2719 in various wavelengths of interest to compare, in white light (370~395nm, near UV to see convection cells better) of the photosphere, 393nm to see the faculae better and the merging of the photosphere and chromosphere (note the convection cells are in and out, bandpass is not tight enough, but getting close), and 656nm to see the chromosphere of course. Imaged with a Celestron 152mm F8 refractor and a Quark for the HA. Used a 3x barlow and a 370~395nm pass filter for the UV white light. Used a 3x barlow and a Skybender loaded with 393nm filters for the CA. Camera was ASI174MM.
scope_setup_08202018.jpg
scope_setup_08202018.jpg (341.43 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Very best,

rsfoto

Re: Sunspot 2719 in 3 wavelengths, Convection Cells, Proms | Aug 20th

Post by rsfoto »

WOW WOW WOW

Hi Marty,

Spectacular images.

regards
Last edited by rsfoto on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by krakatoa1883 »

Superb images.

Are you fine with the black tube of the 150 ? I have a Celestron refractor too and although the tube remains in shadow when pointed to the Sun, I noted an improvement in seeing conditions since I made the tube white, now it is colder than before.

Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

rsfoto wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:06 pm WOW WOW WOW

Hi Marty,

Spectacular images.

A question. That tilter is custom made or who sells them ? Thanks

regards
Hi Rainer,

The tilt chamber is a skybender, they're no longer for sale (never really were for sale), but they move around the community. There's a thread about them in the modification forum here on solarchat. The only thing to it is having a mechanism that can tilt a filter to tune it, but with very good precision. I don't use it that much as I don't have filters that are narrowband enough at this time, but it's my only way to get even close to calcium, so that is what I use it for.

I wonder if an interference or tilt adapter could be fashioned to do the same thing? Extreme angles are not needed after all... hrm.

More info here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24440

Very best,
Last edited by MalVeauX on Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

krakatoa1883 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:16 pm Superb images.

Are you fine with the black tube of the 150 ? I have a Celestron refractor too and although the tube remains in shadow when pointed to the Sun, I noted an improvement in seeing conditions since I made the tube white, now it is colder than before.
Hello,

I'm currently ok with the black tube. However, as you noted, it gets hotter in general, than a white tube would, theoretically. I am considering painting it white, or at least wrapping it with reflective insulation, or maybe wrapping it with a kind of white tape even. I've never painted a tube, so maybe I will wrap it first instead.

Alternatively, simply replacing the lens hood and putting a shield around the hood to block all light from touching the tube may have the same cooling effect. Being realistic, if the tube isn't being touched by direct light, it shouldn't have a temperature difference between colors as long as they're not directly in contact with the sunlight or significant reflected light. A big collar, perhaps, might do the trick. The lens hood is black, and it is removeable. Maybe I will start by painting that white and making a color that is reflective.

I'll try a few things and do some temperature tests and post results when I can.

Thanks!

Very best,

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

MalVeauX wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:21 pm
rsfoto wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:06 pm WOW WOW WOW

Hi Marty,

Spectacular images.

A question. That tilter is custom made or who sells them ? Thanks

regards
Hi Rainer,

The tilt chamber is a skybender, they're no longer for sale (never really were for sale), but they move around the community. There's a thread about them in the modification forum here on solarchat. The only thing to it is having a mechanism that can tilt a filter to tune it, but with very good precision. I don't use it that much as I don't have filters that are narrowband enough at this time, but it's my only way to get even close to calcium, so that is what I use it for.

I wonder if an interference or tilt adapter could be fashioned to do the same thing? Extreme angles are not needed after all... hrm.

More info here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24440

Very best,
Hi Marty and Thanks.

I am on the drawing board :-)

regards

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Montana
Librarian