Changing the f number or not.

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Changing the f number or not.

Post by denababy »

Hi me again asking for advice. I have an Explore Scientific ed80 triplet which is, I believe f/6, and also a Daystar Quark which I think works well or better between f4 and f8. I am still playing with spacers Etc. as well as different cameras to get the best views I can. Been cloudy for days here in Leicester so not enough blue sky to allow me time for experimentation. Will anything I add on change the f number? Any one help please.

krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Changing the f number or not.

Post by krakatoa1883 »

If you have the Chromosphere version it should work fine @f/6, although the higher the native f/ of the scope the better the final results one can obtain.

Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment
Randy Shivak
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Randy Shivak »

The Quark already has a 4.25x telecentric lens so operating at above F8 would be a bit much. Your F6 will work great.

MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by MalVeauX »

denababy wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:04 am Hi me again asking for advice. I have an Explore Scientific ed80 triplet which is, I believe f/6, and also a Daystar Quark which I think works well or better between f4 and f8. I am still playing with spacers Etc. as well as different cameras to get the best views I can. Been cloudy for days here in Leicester so not enough blue sky to allow me time for experimentation. Will anything I add on change the f number? Any one help please.
The Quark is ideal with an F30 light cone.

F6 x 4.3 (internal telecentric) is F25.8. Close. It would be better at F7. That would be a 68.5mm aperture.

But, you also need to match your pixel size for sampling to that focal-ratio. And in turbulent skies, undersampling is better than oversampling. So you're best bet is to likely stay F6 and not worry about it and use the biggest pixels you have to match that F25+ light cone.

Very best,

Valery

Post by Valery »

better to change the F/N for a slower one.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.