New camera but which one?

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: New camera but which one?

Post by PDB »

Bart is right. Does not make sense to cripple an expensive camera with slow USB connection.
Good results with a 80mmf/6, Quark and ASI120 are possible if the Sun cooperates. Just have a look (one of the first I took with that equipment).
1004-8.jpg
1004-8.jpg (62.68 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
Paul

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I agree with Bart above. Before any new camera you will need a new computer with a very fast write speed SSD for capturing and USB3 / C.

Alexandra

denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by denababy »

Hi all, it seems common sense has to reign, I recently bought a new 8gb laptop but sadly no usb3, oh well. I will have to save up a bit longer to buy another laptop and a new camera, but in the meantime try to get better with what I already have, but be warned sometime in the future I will splash out and come again asking for your help.

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hmmm, very strange that a recent laptop would not have USB3 connections. On laptops USB3 ports are not always blue. They might have a superspeed label next to them, which is also USB3.
SuperSpeed.JPG
SuperSpeed.JPG (10.48 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
Paul

denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by denababy »

Thanks Paul I have just looked at all of the ports an my laptop and there is one that has the super speed sign next to it. Thanks.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Does the laptop have a SSD drive?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by denababy »

Hi Mark, not being a techie at all, how will I know if it have an ssd drive as well as it’s size, if that matters. My laptop is a Dell inspiron 15 300, if that helps

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hiya, it's not an SSD laptop, you will struggle to run the 174 cams, either make, on it without it buffering and dropping frames etc. Getting a hi spec camera and running it on a laptop that isn't up to the specs of the camera will probably get more problems than with the 120.

My advice would be to master the camera you have already, getting a new camera isn't going to improve your imaging, the only thing that will do that it is perseverance, technique and experience.

Concentrate on getting rid of the newtons rings, focus, getting the right exposure and getting the tuning of the quark correct would be what I recommend doing.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!