SolarMax 60 II vs, Daystar SS60-DS

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Pluton
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

SolarMax 60 II vs, Daystar SS60-DS

Post by Pluton »

Hello
Now that the CORONADO SolarMax II 60 BF10 model has a good price I'm thinking about acquiring one, I've also seen that Daystar has released the SS60-DS model, at a lower price, has someone been able to use them for visual observation?
Thank you
Pau

ffellah
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: SolarMax 60 II vs, Daystar SS60-DS

Post by ffellah »

Hi Pau: I had the 60 BF 10 as one of my first solar scopes and I enjoyed it a lot. Very portable, I found it to be well built and providing good views.

Franco

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Pau,
The Daystar offering seems to be their Quark Chromo mounted in a 60mm f 15 refractor.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
Valery

Post by Valery »

I'd go with Coronado!

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I'd agree with Valery!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
pedro

Post by pedro »

I agree with Valery and Mark

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

I would not touch the Daystar. The "double stack performance" is marketing garbage. It's not a double stack at all and is going to have parasitic continuum show up. For imaging purposes, it's a fairly long scope too, due to the internal telecentric. Also, how do you double stack it in the future if you want to?

There's no reviews from people you'd trust as a 3rd party objective reviewer either, yet they're selling left and right.

Ultimately it's a short achromat with a Quark and an internal telecentric that you cannot take apart without likely breaking stuff to harvest the Quark (I think everyone is looking at it more as a cheaper Quark than anything). If you look at their wording, they say "effective focal length" so there's a telecentric in there. 930mm effective focal length, so it's quite long, in terms of imaging. And 60mm is not going to net you high resolution for imaging. And again, you can't truly double stack it. Even if it's 0.5A or 0.6A effectively, that's not double stack, that's just bandwidth. A double stack at 0.7A will kill a 0.5A single stack in terms of the true benefits of double stacking (parasitic continuum removal, narrow skirt profile, etc). No free lunch here. It's $700 for a reason.

SolarMax is what I would do for only a bit more. Way better future upgrade path.

Lunt with pressure tuner, even better.

Very best,
Last edited by MalVeauX on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.