Quiet Sun in Ca-H

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Quiet Sun in Ca-H

Post by krakatoa1883 »

Sun is still very quiet, there are no major details on the disc not even the smallest pore. Just to keep my telescopes working I have taken a picture of the full disc and a close up of one of the few interesting parts of the chromosphere.

The BF of my Daystar Calcium suffered a degradation of the "glue" or jelly used to stick together its two elements, the clear UV/IR glass and the blue one. I expected such a failure but not soon. As I have absolutely not intention to send it to the other side of the Atlantic for service I am looking for a suitable replacement material. I have several solutions used in microscopy for preparing permanent slides but I do not know if they can be used in this case. For the moment I cleaned the glasses and put them again in the barrel and I noted that the device seems to be working normally.
Attachments
2018-09-03-0836-RB-CaH.jpg
2018-09-03-0836-RB-CaH.jpg (682.95 KiB) Viewed 920 times
2018-09-03-0836-RB-CaH-fulldisc.jpg
2018-09-03-0836-RB-CaH-fulldisc.jpg (392.33 KiB) Viewed 975 times
Last edited by krakatoa1883 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment
ffellah
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Quiet Sun in Ca-H

Post by ffellah »

Nicely done, Raf ! A beautiful but quiet disk and the close-up showing the more active region in detail.

Franco

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Superb images :bow

I'm sorry to hear about the Quark problems, it doesn't surprise me though ;)

Alexandra

krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by krakatoa1883 »

Thanks Franco, Alexandra
Montana wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:11 amI'm sorry to hear about the Quark problems, it doesn't surprise me though ;)
I too am not surprised :lol: this is the second Quark I had to dismantle/modify to make it working, such a bad experience never again... cheap Daystar products are definitively not for me.

However, I replaced the clear glass of the BF - the IR-eater I suppose, with an Astronomik UV/IR cut plus a single stacked Baader K-line, this way the system works fine but I have to look around for a better device, probably a Lunt K module.

Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment
Valery

Post by Valery »

Nice images. However the nature of the CaK and CaH structures make them looks dramatical at a much larger scale than in H-a. Thanks to shorter WL of the CaK/H we can make the scale 1,7x larger (vs H-a scale) without a sharpness degradation. Your Mewlon can become a real monster at this WL when used at it's scale limit - equal in resolution to a C14 working in H-a!

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Good job there Raf! Hope that filter behaves itself.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!