Quiet Disc Today | HA | Oct 28th

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Quiet Disc Today | HA | Oct 28th

Post by MalVeauX »

Heya,

Woke up to a clear, blue sky and was really excited, as I've had clouds most mornings. I got out a little late as we slept in this morning. At first, it seemed ok, at the full disc scale. The moment I moved over to the large scale, I noted the seeing was terrible. Really bad. I struggled to get anything at large scale. Great transparency, clear, blue sky. But yet the seeing was just horrible. It's a very quiet disc today. The large filament is gone. No visible spots. No action regions really (very, very minor looking one that is undesignated maybe). Two fair prominences on the limb, but very feint. And for giggles, just a random spot on the chromosphere surface to see if I could get through the horrible seeing at large scale and see decent spicules, since there's always at least something to see in HA at higher resolution.

Celestron 150mm F8 Refractor + Daystar 150mm ERF + Baader UV/IR Block Filter + Quark + ASI174MM
PST + 1.5x Barlow + ASI174MM

Very best,

eroel

Re: Quiet Disc Today | HA | Oct 28th

Post by eroel »

Marty:
Beautiful clean and Sharp shots.
Best regards, here it is cloudy. :-((
Eric.

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi Marty...

The full disk is nice and sharp and the higher resolution images look good despite the seeing you had. These turned out quite well :bow

All cloud the last few days, and woke to the first snow covered landscape today :shock:

Hope for some sun on Tuesday if the forecast is half right.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
ThomasHu
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by ThomasHu »

hi Marty:
Beautiful shots.
And I'm interesting in which 1.5x Barlow do you use?

Best regards,

Thomas

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Really nice results Marty!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

The hi res images are really very nice indeed, certainly very beautiful to look at even if quiet. We must be patient and enjoy these small spicules at this time :bow

Alexandra

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

ThomasHu wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:24 am And I'm interesting in which 1.5x Barlow do you use?
Hello!

I used a standard GSO 1.25" 2x barlow and unscrewed the lens off the barrel and screwed that lens directly onto the nose of the camera. I took two images and scaled them and it was approximately 50% the size, so I knew I was in the 1.5x ballpark. This is the cheap method and it works. A more costly way to do it would be to get one made from Siebert Ooptics (http://www.siebertoptics.com/SiebertOpt ... ml#Ad%201b). But again, I just used a shorty GSO 1.25" 2x barlow lens and screwed it on and it did the same thing (I had read about it and tried it).

Very best,

ThomasHu
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by ThomasHu »

MalVeauX wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:20 pm
ThomasHu wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:24 am And I'm interesting in which 1.5x Barlow do you use?
Hello!

I used a standard GSO 1.25" 2x barlow and unscrewed the lens off the barrel and screwed that lens directly onto the nose of the camera. I took two images and scaled them and it was approximately 50% the size, so I knew I was in the 1.5x ballpark. This is the cheap method and it works. A more costly way to do it would be to get one made from Siebert Ooptics (http://www.siebertoptics.com/SiebertOpt ... ml#Ad%201b). But again, I just used a shorty GSO 1.25" 2x barlow lens and screwed it on and it did the same thing (I had read about it and tried it).

Very best,
Dear Marty,
Thank you so much!!