Saturday Sun 6th April

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Carbon60
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Saturday Sun 6th April

Post by Carbon60 »

Blue skies, but with enough haze to take some of the edge off hi-res imaging. The seeing wasn't great either. Anyhow, I persevered and here are some of the better images from my lunchtime session.

CaK, full disk
Image20190406_CaK_FD by Stuart Green, on Flickr

Image20190406_CaK_FD_Colour by Stuart Green, on Flickr

A closer view of AR2737 in CaK

Image20190406_CaK_AR2737 by Stuart Green, on Flickr

Image20190406_CaK_AR2737_Colour by Stuart Green, on Flickr

and in Ha

Image20190406_AR2737_Ha_Mono by Stuart Green, on Flickr

Image20190406_AR2737_Close_Ha_Mono by Stuart Green, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Stu.
Last edited by Carbon60 on Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Saturday Sun 6th August

Post by marktownley »

A great set Stu! The close up CaK came out really well. I had scudding cloud all afternoon yesterday so was imaging in the gaps, with roller coaster seeing resulting. Is the last image a crop from the 6" or with the RC? Pssst, guessing you meant april ;)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Carbon60

Re: Saturday Sun 6th August

Post by Carbon60 »

marktownley wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:36 am A great set Stu! The close up CaK came out really well. I had scudding cloud all afternoon yesterday so was imaging in the gaps, with roller coaster seeing resulting. Is the last image a crop from the 6" or with the RC? Pssst, guessing you meant april ;)
:oops: April indeed....wishing my time away!

Yes, just a crop. The conditions were not really up to hi-res.

Cheers

Stu.

Radio meteor detector.
MAURITS

Re: Saturday Sun 6th April

Post by MAURITS »

Excellent Images Stu.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
LTHB
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by LTHB »

Great images, considering the conditions! I was clouded out yesterday afternoon when I had just set up the scope.

Regards,

Frank

Valery

Post by Valery »

Nice images, Stu.

BTW. When my 6" refractors delivers the images like this 20190406_AR2737_Ha_Mono then my C8 sure delivers better images and very often the C11 also works so well that I can obtain the resolution at it's limit! So, you need to try RC 10" more often.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Valery wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:03 pm BTW. When my 6" refractors delivers the images like this 20190406_AR2737_Ha_Mono then my C8 sure delivers better images and very often the C11 also works so well that I can obtain the resolution at it's limit! So, you need to try RC 10" more often.
My usual method is that if an aperture is sustained at Ha then I try that aperture in CaK, if it is still working in CaK then I up the aperture in Ha. Ad infinitum...

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Valery

Post by Valery »

marktownley wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:58 pm
My usual method is that if an aperture is sustained at Ha then I try that aperture in CaK, if it is still working in CaK then I up the aperture in Ha. Ad infinitum...
At my location I know well: the very first come the best seeing and then it worsens quite soon. So, if I like to image the sun in both lines, I do image in CaK first and after one, two or maximum thee successfull movies, I re-configure the telescope to Ha at the speed I can only work at in about 3-5 minutes.
And I never start with a smaller telescope. I always start with the largest and then acting according to the seeing.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
ffellah

Post by ffellah »

A lovely set of images, Stu

Franco

Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Many thanks for your comments, guys.

I do need to try the RCT more often, Valery :)

Stu.

Radio meteor detector.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Valery wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:54 am
marktownley wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:58 pm
At my location I know well: the very first come the best seeing and then it worsens quite soon. So, if I like to image the sun in both lines, I do image in CaK first and after one, two or maximum thee successfull movies, I re-configure the telescope to Ha at the speed I can only work at in about 3-5 minutes.
And I never start with a smaller telescope. I always start with the largest and then acting according to the seeing.

Valery
I've got good at 'guessing' what the seeing will be like where I live, I fire up the SSM for a hand held view to confirm (or not) my gut feeling. My seeing is more often less good than good, and time is always precious - be it how much time I have available, or, how long till the next cloud spoils the view. If my data in 100mm at Ha is good I the try at CaK at 100mm, knowing if this too is successful there is a chance the 8" at Ha has a chance... I've tried starting off with the 8" in Ha but more often than not find myself backing down the aperture which wastes time setting up and down. Faster cameras later this year may change my approach, but at the moment I feel i've found the most efficient image capturing setup for where I live. I can understand why starting off large works when the seeing is better more often than it is worse.

Valery

Post by Valery »

marktownley wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:49 pm I can understand why starting off large works when the seeing is better more often than it is worse.
Unfortnately, this conclusion/understanding is wrong. My seeing is mainly poor to barely acceptable. The real reasons I always starting with the largest aperture are:

1. best seeing is always between 20 and 30 degree of the sun evelation above the horizon.
2. largest aperture always give the most of what I wish from the solar imaging. So, why wasting the time for smaller telescopes?
3. somewhat worser seeing (late morning and then) can be still good enough for smaller instruments.

Of course, a fast camera is one of the key factors on the way to good results in hig res imaging of the sun. My present cameras are the fastest available for acceptable money today - Basler ASA1920-155 which gives >200fps with ROI 1580x1060 and ZWO ASI290MM which gives even higher speed. Basler is ideal for H-a imaging at a final F/20-25 (F/43 at the etalon) and ASI290MM is an ideal for the CaK at F/20 on the chip.

I hope that a fast camera will give you what you are looking for. Basler ASA1920-155 with a good quality cable is all you need for your main rig - C8HaT - standard Quark Chromo + 0,5x to 0,7x reducer(s).

Valery

LTHB
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by LTHB »

Valery, your observation that seeing is best between 20 and 30 degrees agrees with my results in the last couple of days - I will try to confirm if that holds generally for my location, too. Is there an obvious reason/explanation for that?

eroel

Post by eroel »

Stu;
Superb high resolution on the CaK closer view shots.
Best regards from N.Y.
Eric.

Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Many thanks, Eric.

Stu.

Radio meteor detector.
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Nice discs Stu, always enjoy Cak!

Very best,