Omega filters working at last

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Omega filters working at last

Post by RodAstro » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:01 pm

Hi
Firstly thanks to all for your help, some I have asked for, the other I have gleaned from all the threads.
Anyway after more than twelve months of work I have managed to get Bob's filters to work
Firstly Bob's original filters had a bonded first filter (etalon) and blocker this caused many reflections internally and was almost unusable but I could see some potential. Bob kindly replaced the filters with two matched etalon type filters and a seperate blocking filter this worked much better and if all fails I could at least make a prominence viewer for my scope.
In the end the critical thing was not aligning the tilts and positions of the filters but the rigidity of the system.
Building a collimated beam ended up so long that as the scope tracked the whole system would flex a few microns and everything needed adjusting to bring it back on band, or building like the proverbial brick s**t house.
So I have gone back to an F30 beamand machined 2" diagonal and fittings to get the strength and keep everything supported well.

I am beginning to think the filters do not have a sweet spot but they do have banding.
This comes from processing the images I have taken where I have darkened the light bands and detail appears so with a little work with software I can flatten the image.
Visually I use two reverse CPL filters and cross them until I get a rid of the glare and can the see the surface detail and just remove one filter when viewing the prominences.
I am using a Zeiss 6" f15 coude and not many other filter systems will work easily with this scope and especially at the cost of Bob's filters.
I could have talked about the visual images I am getting but pictures are the best way to show how well it is working so here are the first, I do need a little more practice at processing but after all the mechanical work I have done that will be nothing to learn.
Attachments
8-4-19 merged2.jpg
8-4-19 merged2.jpg (237.72 KiB) Viewed 733 times
10-4-19 4-15pm regy18stack Ps PSP flatend colour contrast (2).jpg
10-4-19 4-15pm regy18stack Ps PSP flatend colour contrast (2).jpg (161.98 KiB) Viewed 733 times
8-4-19 Prom restack Ps PSP (2).jpg
8-4-19 Prom restack Ps PSP (2).jpg (46.4 KiB) Viewed 733 times
8-4-19 Rejistack Ps (2).jpg
8-4-19 Rejistack Ps (2).jpg (43.3 KiB) Viewed 733 times

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Omega filters working at last

Post by marktownley » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:03 pm

Came out well there!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!

RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:15 pm

Thanks Mark
I am pleased with the results.
The worst thing in my system is the seeing where I sit low down in a valley so not really conducive to good solar viewing so at this magnification I recon the system is working pretty well
The big plus for me though is my two ton coude telescope where I can sit in one position with no wobble and a bino head and concentrate on the image, also out of the sun, although I wish I had the sun on my back today, it was cold in the observatory

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:33 pm

Sounds a nice scope. Any pickies to share?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!

RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:50 pm

Hi Mark
A Pic of mine with a 10" F3.6 astrograph and a SW102 finder/autoguider
You can't really tell how big it is so the other picture is of the one in the Brisbane public observatory
It is my pride and joy
Attachments
Brisbane Zeiss 6 inch.jpg
Brisbane Zeiss 6 inch.jpg (56.4 KiB) Viewed 722 times
RTs Zeiss 10 inch f3.6 astrograph 102mm auto guider.jpg
RTs Zeiss 10 inch f3.6 astrograph 102mm auto guider.jpg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 722 times

RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:03 pm

Don't know why it did that, maybe file size this is smaller
Attachments
RTs Zeiss 10 inch f3.jpg
RTs Zeiss 10 inch f3.jpg (454.78 KiB) Viewed 721 times

Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Valery » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:14 am

The telescope is very good and the filters are bad. I got Omega H-a which is even worser then your's.
Bob Jonson, the Omega owner, is a typical scammer - he promised replacement or money back, but never responded.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.

RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:26 am

Hi Valery
I must admit we did have to persist with Bob he is very slow to respond, not his day job. We have two sets of these filters and I am now going to make another setup for a friend. I think the first set he sent with the bonded front filter may have been done for safety but no one seems to have got them working. we then suggested a separate blocker and Bob was ok with that but they took a couple of months to arrive and was just a single set. Once I got somewhere with them a second set was replaced and they are of much better quality.
Sadly a lot of time was also spent in british customs probably four months in all.
Once working though they are impressive for proms and as I said I can't think of an easy way to get any other system working on this scope other than mabe pulling a quark apart and that becomes an expensive experiment.
The scope is lovely and a dream to use so solid that I get very frustrated with every other scope I use now