What will be the visual difference between my 72mm Ed and my 120mm triplet with Quark Chromo please

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
skyhawk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

What will be the visual difference between my 72mm Ed and my 120mm triplet with Quark Chromo please

Post by skyhawk »

Can I please ask a really stupid question

What will be the visual difference between my 72mm Ed and my 120mm triplet with Quark Chromo please.

At the moment I use the setup in the image, but will be getting the AZEQ6 for my 120.

Thank you
IMG_20190314_171135438.jpg
IMG_20190314_171135438.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 1469 times
Last edited by skyhawk on Fri May 03, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just for info, if I ever come over as "blunt" or upset it is not intentional, I am AUTISTIC, I have Aspergers, and ADHD, Autism, so my apologies if I ever sound, unintentionally confrontational. Thank you

Esprit 120mm triplet refractor
Celestron Evolution Edge HD 8"
72mm Ed Skywatcher for Solar

SkyTee 2
Sky-Watcher SolarQuest
Gitzo Systematic Series 5

ASI 178MM
Daystar Quark Ha
WO Binoviewers
Many eyepieces 2"
skyhawk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: What will be the visual difference between my 72mm Ed and my 120mm triplet with Quark Chromo please

Post by skyhawk »

I have just left UK Solar Imaging because they kept insisting and arguing about the need for ERFs, I did not ask about ERFs, so P L E A S E don't comment on these.

I am Autistic, I have aspergers, I am not stupid but it really annoys me when people go so far off topic and insist I am a fool, sorry, and thank you

Just for info, if I ever come over as "blunt" or upset it is not intentional, I am AUTISTIC, I have Aspergers, and ADHD, Autism, so my apologies if I ever sound, unintentionally confrontational. Thank you

SkyTee 2
Sky-Watcher SolarQuest

ASI 178MM
Daystar Quark Ha
WO Binoviewers
Many eyepieces 2"
MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: What will be the visual difference between my 72mm Ed and my 120mm triplet with Quark Chromo please

Post by MalVeauX »

Heya,

The visual difference will be the resolution and field of view achieved with the larger aperture and larger scale. If the seeing is good, you will benefit these things and you will see more detail on structures like filaments, prominences, the limb, active regions and their structures, etc. You will not view the full disc in the FOV with the larger scope, the shorter focal-length scope will be for smaller scale like that. The 120mm aperture with a Quark is a fantastic visual experience, especially at the limb and binoviewers are a real treat with this setup.

A full aperture D-ERF is not needed at all at these apertures with your Quark. A simple 2" UV/IR block filter will handle everything needed placed on the nose of your diagonal in front of your Quark. Good to go.

Very best,

skyhawk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by skyhawk »

MANY thanks, appreciated

SkyTee 2
Sky-Watcher SolarQuest

ASI 178MM
Daystar Quark Ha
WO Binoviewers
Many eyepieces 2"
krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by krakatoa1883 »

I have your same 72ED and I am very happy, it is a wonderful solar scope. It allows fine views of the solar disc and prominences with my Quark Chromosphere, with a focal reducer and a 40 mm eyepiece is it possible to see all the solar disc.

About the difference with a 120mm scope I totally agree with Marty. I would say that both scopes well complement each other.

Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment
skyhawk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by skyhawk »

Why do you use a focal reducer, I see the whole disk with a 8-24mm eyepiece ???

In fact I use this

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/a ... 2%22).html

SkyTee 2
Sky-Watcher SolarQuest

ASI 178MM
Daystar Quark Ha
WO Binoviewers
Many eyepieces 2"
skyhawk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by skyhawk »

krakatoa1883 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:06 pm I have your same 72ED and I am very happy, it is a wonderful solar scope. It allows fine views of the solar disc and prominences with my Quark Chromosphere, with a focal reducer and a 40 mm eyepiece is it possible to see all the solar disc.

About the difference with a 120mm scope I totally agree with Marty. I would say that both scopes well complement each other.

:) :)

SkyTee 2
Sky-Watcher SolarQuest

ASI 178MM
Daystar Quark Ha
WO Binoviewers
Many eyepieces 2"
krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by krakatoa1883 »

skyhawk wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:30 pmWhy do you use a focal reducer, I see the whole disk with a 8-24mm eyepiece ???
you're right, it is just a personal preference of mine for a "small" sun disc :D

Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment