Brief Sunshine on the 23rd July

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Brief Sunshine on the 23rd July

Post by marktownley »

An early morning start to lovely blue skies had me optimistic today, so I decided to start with the HaT, Quark, SSM and the IMX174 to see how I got on with this setup. All seemed fine and dandy as I focused the image on the laptop screen and I fired off an image, only to have 2 nasty surprises. Firstly the seeing took an A - bomb, and then I realised I was getting some horizontal artefacts with the camera. Firstly the seeing;

Imageseeing by Mark Townley, on Flickr

You can see it was nice low seeing values on the SSM then cloud started to appear from the south and totally wiped out any hope I had with large apertures for today. I did manage the one image at hi-res of the active region which has significantly diminished since yesterday:

ImageAR-close-bw by Mark Townley, on Flickr

ImageAR-close-colour by Mark Townley, on Flickr

I since determined the horizontal bands were there when the SSM was being used - hmmmm. So seems is some kind of interference thing. More experiments needed.

I also found if you turn the histogram off in firecapture when capture takes place the frame rate goes up considerably, same with not having the preview on max either. Kinda obvious really!

I then spent some considerable time blasting out runs at 170fps to try and freeze the seeing, but the graph says it all, so after a while gave up and reverted to a DS full disk with the Lunt50 etalon, ED60/f6, Quark, 0.7x solar telecompressor and the ICX916M camera (this is much better than the IMX174).

ImageHa-Full-Disk-bw by Mark Townley, on Flickr

ImageHa-Full-Disk-colour by Mark Townley, on Flickr

The full disk was soft with the boiling seeing and the temperatures climbing up into the low 30s. No more sun for me today, too hot - so off for a jar down the pub.

Hope you like!

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
ffellah
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Brief Sunshine on the 23rd July

Post by ffellah »

A great set, Mark ! I like very much the AR close up with the HAT, lots of detail there. Thanks for the tip on turning off the histogram to increase frame rate, I would have not thought of that. The FD came out really well, nice and even, with good detail too. You made the best of a challenging session...

Franco

PaulB
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by PaulB »

It's tricky doing any kind of astronomy from the UK. If it's not cloud-bright Moonlight. Then it is a clear sky followed by high cirrus, or like today. It's just too dam hot.

You've managed to capture some excellent detail in the Photosphere. Your Quark is a good piece of kit.

I will hopefully be doing the same over the weekend with my PST unless we have thundery rain!

Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

You've got a good Quark Mark. Mine ended up going back for a refund.

Nice images. I sometimes see the same type of horizontal lines with my Basler 1920-155um. Not sure what the cause is. I hope it isn't some level of degradation within the camera/chip.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Well done Mark.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Very nice images from this morning's session...too bad the clouds interfered :bow

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks everyone. The horizontal lines thing has annoyed me a bit tbh as I wanted to use this camera with the SSM - like I said, more experiments needed. Fingers crossed for some wednesday sunshine, first some thunderstorms over night...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
LTHB
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by LTHB »

Nice close-up!

Good luck with the weather! Meteoblue's seeing predictions for tomorrow are quite good, so maybe a chance for high-res imaging!

Regards,

Frank

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

You certainly have a good close up of the AR Mark, so when the seeing isn't 10+ :shock: you should be able to get some good ones :) the full discs are excellent as usual :bow :hamster:

Alexandra