Solar Cycle 25 - not looking good......

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Solar Cycle 25 - not looking good......

Post by Merlin66 »

http://solarcyclescience.com/forecasts.html

The forecasts presented here don't give great news for solar observers over the next few years.......

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
Stardust5858
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Solar Cycle 25 - not looking good......

Post by Stardust5858 »

I've read that too, gives me time to save up for that lunt 100mm double stack, lol.

10ft x 6ft Solar RoR with Warm Room
Lunt 60mm Double Stack HA
80ed WL+ Lunt Hershal Wedge + Badder K-Line filter.
100mm AR + Lunt b1800 Ca-K module.
Neq6 Eq Mount.

2.7m Pulsar Dome.
11in Celestron SCT + White Light Filter.
70mm AR Stellavue.
12inch OO Newtonian.
Eq8 r Pro Mount.
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

On Spaceweather today it shows that this cycle will be the same as the last one, and that provided superb entertainment for me, so I am not worried :)

Alexandra

Valery

Post by Valery »

Merlin66 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:17 am http://solarcyclescience.com/forecasts.html

The forecasts presented here don't give great news for solar observers over the next few years.......

I find such information as defeatist and harmful for amateur astronomy community and especially for those who are less knowelegeable and only plan to dive in to a solar astronomy. Such a panical information can mislead them and can inspire them to turn of their faces from solar to other amateur astronomy fields. Many peoples will never see prominences, flares and other solar activity in a real time.

I too, as Alexandra, was quite pleasant with last solar cycle 24 and hope for the cycle 25 to be at least quite similar.

Better to erase such a topics and do not seed the panic.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Valery, while I’d love to agree with you. I think we need to keep an open mind on the subject.
Time will tell.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
Rusted

Post by Rusted »

Solar astronomy has a lot going for it:
It is one of the few fields where light pollution isn't a problem.
You can see what you are doing without tripping or needing a torch.
Given too many spots we'd be spoilt for choice.
Whereas the tiniest AR, in a famine, fills us with glee! ;)

http://fullerscopes.blogspot.dk/

H-alpha: Baader 160mm D-ERF, iStar 150/10 H-alpha objective, 2" Baader 35nm H-a, 2" Beloptik KG3,
Lunt 60MT etalon, Lunt B1200S2 BF, Assorted T-S GPCs or 2x "Shorty" Barlow, ZWO ASI174.
Valery

Post by Valery »

Merlin66 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:09 am Valery, while I’d love to agree with you. I think we need to keep an open mind on the subject.
Time will tell.

Ken,

Please, no offence and we here know all these aspects of the subject. And I can gladly discuss all such questions. I spoke about newbies.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

Interesting and predictions for me are like what happened once to some friends and to me in a restaurant.

We ordered a good Filet and when we tasted it it was salty. So we told the waiter it is salty, he took it to the kitchen, came back and told us ...

The Chef says it is not salty ...

So who was right ?

:seesaw

I would say let us enjoy what we get from the Sun as we can not change it but we can put less salt on the Filet ... :lol:

About convincing newcomers we can do it showing them pictures from 2014 and tell them Nature is difficult to predict.

If it would be easy it would be boring ...

IMHO

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Valery wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:15 am
Merlin66 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:17 am http://solarcyclescience.com/forecasts.html

I find such information as defeatist and harmful for amateur astronomy community and especially for those who are less knowelegeable and only plan to dive in to a solar astronomy. Such a panical information can mislead them and can inspire them to turn of their faces from solar to other amateur astronomy fields. Many peoples will never see prominences, flares and other solar activity in a real time.

I too, as Alexandra, was quite pleasant with last solar cycle 24 and hope for the cycle 25 to be at least quite similar.

Better to erase such a topics and do not seed the panic.

Valery
Hi Valery,

I understand your point but for example I started Solar imagin around 2007 or 2008 and ¿? that was the time of Solar minimum between cycle 23 and 24.

Why did I start because my Mentor Eric Roel alias here eroel showed me his Sun images and I have to say 11 or 12 years ago the investment was 3 times higher then nowadays. In those days the main hurdle to overcome was the investment and believe it or not I paid for my two esxisting SM60 filters and BF 30 about US $ 10,000.00 but my interest was high.

Nowadays H-alpha filter are by far much more accesible in price.

The main decision point is

Do I like Sun images or do I find them boring when nothing happens and here in my case I learned somthing in the last weeks and specially from the comments of Alexandra who everytime found something on the images I was cataloguing as boring. Now I look at them and always remember Alexandra´s writing and suddenly they are not boring anymore ...

So if we have a lower Solar cycle 25 or not should not be a reason not to make Sun imaging.

We Deep Space Object imagers have the same problem Clouds Clouds and Clouds and is that a reason people do not buy imaging equipment ¿? No, they still buy.

In both cases the investment now is very equal Sun or Night imaging does not matter

The question here is

¿ Do I personally find the Sun images interesting or not ?

¿ What can we do for newcomers to start to like the Sun ?

Educate them and explain the pros and cons ... and as usual teach them to have patience ... like me and hope some day the Palm tree of the neighbour just falls over or suddenly rots :lol:

IMHO

regards Rainer
Last edited by rsfoto on Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Rusted

Post by Rusted »

A "Solar Image Processing for Dummies" thread would help to maintain interest amongst the neophytes. [Including me!] :mrgreen:

This is the one area of solar imaging where a final image sorts the Men [and Ladies] from the boys [and girls.]

To those unfamiliar with English the "sorting" phrase is a popular figure of speech.
It means that it separates the real experts from the absolute beginners.

May the Power [of processing software] Be With You!

The Solcerer's Apprentice. :D

http://fullerscopes.blogspot.dk/

H-alpha: Baader 160mm D-ERF, iStar 150/10 H-alpha objective, 2" Baader 35nm H-a, 2" Beloptik KG3,
Lunt 60MT etalon, Lunt B1200S2 BF, Assorted T-S GPCs or 2x "Shorty" Barlow, ZWO ASI174.
Stardust5858

Post by Stardust5858 »

I love solar observing and only got my lunt last year, I get excited when I see prominences and even small filaments on the disk has me enthralled. So I guess I've started at a low point but it can only get better. Also being able to image the transit of Mercury with prominences around the disk was absolutely stunning. Even one image of mine made the front page of the British Astronomical Association December journal so as a relative newcomer I'm smitten and have lunt feaver already, lol.

10ft x 6ft Solar RoR with Warm Room
Lunt 60mm Double Stack HA
80ed WL+ Lunt Hershal Wedge + Badder K-Line filter.
100mm AR + Lunt b1800 Ca-K module.
Neq6 Eq Mount.

2.7m Pulsar Dome.
11in Celestron SCT + White Light Filter.
70mm AR Stellavue.
12inch OO Newtonian.
Eq8 r Pro Mount.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Way I see it is there is very little going on right now, however, regardless how big (or how small) the next cycle is there will be more to see than currently. However it plays out i'm looking forward to it.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!