DSLR Solar Photography??

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

DSLR Solar Photography??

Post by DeepSolar64 »

All,

I have gotten a new Nikon D3500 DSLR camera for Christmas. I hope to use it for solar imaging. I know that it is not going to have the performance that the video stacking method does but I know it can be used. Any advice here? I have the extension tubes for the scopes but I still need to order the T-ring and T-adapter to mount the camera. Also, modern cameras have video modes. Can they be used to acquire the images to stack using the software you guys/gals use to get such magnificent pictures? I know the frame rate is less than the Point Grey Research video cameras preferred by skilled solar photographers. All advice appreciated here.

I should have posted this to the equipment/camera section. Sorry.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: DSLR Solar Photography??

Post by marktownley »

No problem posting it here.

Honestly, I would not recommend using a DSLR for solar, either in single shot or video mode. You can use one, but the results you get aren't going to come close to a mono camera.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi James...

Since you already have the camera you can try it out, but as Mark said to purchase one specifically for solar imaging would not be the the best choice.

There have been many WL images posted using a DSLR and it seems to produce reasonable images. The colour filter matrix only allows 1 pixel in 4 to capture red light and 2 covert the green spectrum. This is why they lack for Ha work and do better in WL since the chip sees more of the WL spectrum.

A T-ring is a good investment if you plan to use it on other scopes too...non-solar targets...and as I said no harm in trying solar if you already have it.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Hello James,

I don't think you need such a camera for solar. You can make much better use of the Nikon. For solar (white light) you would not need your solar telescopes.
A reasonable mono camera could be used. What's more important is your capture equipment. What laptop or acquisition system will you have ?Have you read Montana's solar imaging guide yet . A link is in the reference section - read it at least 2 times. Best of luck!

Magnus

Solar: H-alpha": Quark Chromosphere filter; Baader white light filters
Scopes: Altair Astro Travel ED70mm (F 420mm, D=70mm);; Skywatcher 90mm (F 910mm D=90mm); GSO focuser;;Altair Astro 60mm guidescope (D=60mm,F=225mm)
Cameras: ASI120mm-S,ASI174mm
Mount: SW HEQ5 Pro, SW EQ3 Pro Synscan (SW = Skywatcher),Vixen Polarie tracker (portable setup)
Accessory: SW Auto-focuser
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Have you read this post viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26988

Some folks do get really good images in Halpha with a DSLR, but it takes a lot of practice and skill. I think most have best success in mono mode. But your resolution will be poor. But, if you have it, use it, why not :hamster:

Alexandra

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

All,
I knew the video stacking method was superior the DSLR stills. It shows the evidence clearly on anything that is shot using it. By the sheer number of images taken it helps get around seeing. Just like the eye can momentarily see sharp details in moments of good seeing. The video captures that. I have seen many planetary images so good I would have thought they were taken from orbit! No SLR pictures from years back were ever so sharp. Amateurs take better images now than the pros did less than two decades ago!

My DSLR does have a black and white shooting mode. Would that be like shooting monochrome? And somehow I missed in the holiday hooplah the recent post on DSLR solar photography. Thanks Alexandra! And I will check out your tutorial on solar imaging. I think Mark has one on his Briery Hill Solar website too.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:23 pm All,
I knew the video stacking method was superior the DSLR stills. It shows the evidence clearly on anything that is shot using it. By the sheer number of images taken it helps get around seeing. Just like the eye can momentarily see sharp details in moments of good seeing. The video captures that. I have seen many planetary images so good I would have thought they were taken from orbit! No SLR pictures from years back were ever so sharp. Amateurs take better images now than the pros did less than two decades ago!

My DSLR does have a black and white shooting mode. Would that be like shooting monochrome? And somehow I missed in the holiday hooplah the recent post on DSLR solar photography. Thanks Alexandra! And I will check out your tutorial on solar imaging. I think Mark has one on his Briery Hill Solar website too.

James
Hi James,
My DSLR does have a black and white shooting mode. Would that be like shooting monochrome?
Unfortunately no as the Bayer Matrix is still there e.g. RGGB and the H-alfa is in the red so you have only 25% of red.

Putting it in Monochrome mode does only discard the colour information. You really do not take away the Bayer Matrix switching into BW mode.

I have made good White light images using a DSLR but enver managed to get good H-alpha images

:cry:

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Thanks Rainer. It looks like I will have to purchase a monochrome video camera. The better ones are quite pricey though. I need to find a reasonably priced one that has decent performance. Like most things I realize you get what you pay for.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars