ED80: do I ever need an ERF for it?

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Florin Andrei
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

ED80: do I ever need an ERF for it?

Post by Florin Andrei »

I have an ED80 refractor. The plan is to use it with an H-alpha Quark filter, for visual and photography. Later perhaps I will add Quark filters for Calcium and other wavelengths.

I was advised that in this configuration, an ERF may not be necessary - just use an UV/IR cut filter in front of the Quark, making sure the relevant wavelengths are actually passed by the UV/IR filter. Okay, I can do that.

But if this is all I'll ever do - use an ED80 with various Quark filters - is there any scenario where an ERF will actually be required?

When will I ever need an ERF for the ED80?

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/
MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: ED80: do I ever need an ERF for it?

Post by MalVeauX »

You do not need a full aperture D-ERF with the 80mm aperture with a Quark. You're good. A standard UV/IR block filter will handle everything needed at this aperture.

Very best,

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

By what I have read you are good. 80mm or smaller does not need an ERF with a Quark. In time I hope to get a Sodium D-line Quark for my Astro-Tech AT72EDII refractor.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

No, you won't ever need a full aperture ERF with an ED80, just a UV/IR filter used as a sub aperture ERF.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

Florin Andrei wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:05 am
But if this is all I'll ever do - use an ED80 with various Quark filters - is there any scenario where an ERF will actually be required?

When will I ever need an ERF for the ED80?
As mentioned by our friends, you don't need an ERF to use the Quark Chromosphere. What are you thinking of that may need to use an ERF with the ED80?

Alfred

krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by krakatoa1883 »

A full aperture ERF is not needed but a good sub-aperture ERF is absolutely necessary. Forget UV/IR cut filters as they are not effective, a H-alpha filter of the type used for deep sky imaging is the minimum requirement to avoid long term degradation of the in-built BF. A 35nm Baader filter would work fine for the purpose.

Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment
Florin Andrei
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Florin Andrei »

yltansg wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:30 am As mentioned by our friends, you don't need an ERF to use the Quark Chromosphere. What are you thinking of that may need to use an ERF with the ED80?
The only immediate plan is to use the ED80 with the H-alpha Quark to observe and image the Sun; I have all the hardware I need already. I may purchase another Quark later, perhaps the calcium version. Beyond that point I don't have very clear plans (maybe get the Quarks for sodium and magnesium?). So that's why I was asking a general question. I'm new to solar, I still need to educate myself in this field - and so far I've received great help on this forum, thanks everyone!

I live in a place with good seeing at night - I know this from planetary photography and from visual estimates. If seeing turns out to be good during the day as well, I may start drawing plans for an upgrade to the C8 for solar. I know that's a completely different ball game, I know that a full aperture ERF is then absolutely necessary (and might be expensive and hard to find). I'm aware of what I need to do re: focal ratio, etc. But a lot of water needs to pass under the bridge before I even begin to think seriously about this, and even then it may still never happen - e.g. if seeing turns out to be typically bad.

I think I have a way to estimate seeing during the day - I have Baader solar film filters (full aperture) for literally all my instruments, including the C8. I could use the C8 with the Baader foil to do white light imaging, and this way try to gauge the seeing. But it will take a while, probably most of 2021. I'm fairly busy most of the time.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

Hi Florin,

All the best in your learning journey !!

Alfred