LUNT 300mm Ha SolarScope - Question ??

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: LUNT 300mm Ha SolarScope - Question ??

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:48 pm

Indeed James, you are perfectly correct and I respect the fact that what one can afford is usually the ultimate answer. Credit can be useful for some - as long as they know they can repay over time, but in my case, part of my father's estate assisted me in doing what I wanted, extra to other astro-viewing and imaging than Solar.

My AStro-club had the SolarMax 60mm as well as a PST-HA & CAL-k scopes acquired through a grant from our "National Lottery Fund" and in the beginning it was down to me to sort-out the casing etc., so that these can safely be used for public outreach and schools..

I decided that I would sooner or later acquire my own Solar-gear and as one of our previous club-members had his own astro-supply business, I put it to him to get me the best-gear on the market at the time - which was Lunt...

He and another very-well known presenter/imager, even delivered them personally to me and also viewed the observatory - which had barely been completed as a building, but not kitted out...

The decisions of that supplier - has been proven to be perfect, as my gear has been trialled along-side of other makes and found to be superior.

Further work relating to mounting three-scopes on the original Vixen-mount was not suitable due to the weight, so the acquisition of the SkyWatcher ALT/EQ6 GT was decided upon and also has proved to be well worthwhile...

I do though, need to polish-up on the imaging-side, where with the two new ASI 178MM's only were able to see a few lights up to November'20 and after a revamp of all of the computer-system, screens and wiring mods...

I'm on the verge of starting to observe and image from the observatory (this week) as well as working on the ETX-125 etc., for necessary measurements for the new mini-observatory, so very busy and with lots of other things to do as well.

Just shows that retirement is not always an easy-life, rather too-busy to need to work away from home - in any case...

Cheers
Terry

DeepSolar64

Re: LUNT 300mm Ha SolarScope - Question ??

Post by DeepSolar64 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:57 am

Good luck Terry on clear skies. I am waiting on your images. Retired life? I haven't got there yet. I still have a few years.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
ZWO ASI178MM monochrome camera
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces