solarmax 90

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Bill E.

Re: solarmax 90

Post by Bill E. »

Stephen,Do you mean Meade and other retailers both fill orders we make? .....Is this a good thing?... I am confused.

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

just to be clear folks, I dont need these scopes and I am only ordering them based on the last sale they had on them. There was no rhyme or reason as to who got one, what they got or what order they placed their orders. I just wanted tp increase our clubs chances of getting one. If I happen to get them shipped to me and one of you dont, then you guys are welcome to them. Im just trying to increase the odds. I already have 3 Coronado 90mm scopes...

Im pretty sure shopatron just posts the open orders on their internal bulletin board and any retailers or Meade just picks the ones they want to fill and fills them. Maybe its the cheapest shipping costs or something, who knows. I just know that there were a lot of dissatisfied folks last time.

In fact, if we all get scopes then Im going to just put them out there as club loaners...

I saw that Andy Devey joined up today on the forum. This place is really getting good now..Thanks for all of your support and keep posting links to your solarchat posts over on the other forums so we can get the hard core types over here..

Funny, when he first started sending these awesome videos to me via email, I emphatically tried to pursuade him to go to CN and post his work. I strongly encourage the use of their forum as it is awesome. Ironic, huh? Im not even allowed to post a signature line or an avatar over there now.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

shopatron is a web service and clearing house for orders from thousands of different vendors in the retail world.
Your order will be filled by whoever wants to fill it and whoever has the scope in stock. This is pretty standard, all of the scope retailers use it...except Lunt. they personally fill all their own orders or send YOU over to one of their authorized retailers.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
vidman

Post by vidman »

Stephen,
How difficult was it to convert the Coronado 90 to feather touch?

Bill E.

Post by Bill E. »

Chuck,Did you get into this lottery too?

vidman

Post by vidman »

Apparently I am Bill. Never won a Lottery tho. Thus I am still trying to get the "moola" together for a Lunt 80.

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

Well the first time I went to a local machine shop and asked them to connect THIS to THIS and they did...$300

The two scopes I just had donated went through the process at Lunt and they made the adator and attached the focuseers, about $200 each

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: solarmax 90 sale

Post by solarchat »

Rusty, Im keeping all of these in the same topic so we can all keep up.

I think there is about 6 of us who ordered. I ordered 4 for club use. Where hoping that at least one of us actuially sees a scope.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

Im singing us a happy song to get our orders processed... plus its been cloudy now for 5 days and I am about to go ape shi#$%e!

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Suncityan

Post by Suncityan »

Two interesting notes from Shopatron arrived this morning, one is copied in my e-mail (below) to Meade.

Yesterday when trying to order the SM90, the order process was stopped twice and now I get two e-mails asking if I need help. Maybe the e-mail to Meade will get results.

Does this complete the requirements for jumping into the lottery pool with the rest of you folks.....grinnnn?

Suncityan

Post by Suncityan »

Hummm...guess e-mails can't be copied and pasted....I don't see it in this thread anyway.

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

just copy the text and past it into the text window. there are no restrictions on that...

here's the email to Tommy ( i didn't get this...yet)

Here's an interesting note that showed up twice this morning. I hit the button "Complete Order" and the page stagnated again, wonder if I'll get another e-mail from Shopatron after this attempt?

HOW CAN WE HELP?
On a recent visit to the Meade Instruments Corporation website, you selected some products but didn't complete your purchase.

If this happened because you had difficulty placing your order, we're here to help.
To complete your order now:xxxxxx

1. Review your Order Details below.
2. Now, log into your account and complete your order. Click Complete Order or paste the following link into your browser.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Order Details
Items you selected:
Subtotal
SolarMax 90 Telescope with Blocking Filter 15
Part #: SM90T15
Qty: 1
USD$ 1,999.00

Complete Order

Let us know if we can help in any way. Please send email to [email protected].

Thank you for shopping with Meade Instruments Corporation!
P.S. You received this email because recently you started an order online with Meade Instruments Corporation and entered your email address but did not complete the order. If you still want the items in your order, we want to make sure you know that you did not place the order and help you if need assistance. You will not receive any further emails from us if you decide not to complete this order. We do not provide your email address to others.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Suncityan

Post by Suncityan »

That's exactly what I did just like at other times. Trying again:

HOW CAN WE HELP?

On a recent visit to the Meade Instruments Corporation website, you selected some products but didn't complete your purchase.

If this happened because you had difficulty placing your order, we're here to help.
To complete your order now: Complete Order

1. Review your Order Details below.
2. Now, log into your account and complete your order. Click Complete Order or paste the following link into your browser.
[link removed by Ramsden]

Order Details
Items you selected: Subtotal

SolarMax 90 Telescope with Blocking Filter 15
Part #: SM90T15
Qty: 1
USD$ 1,999.00

Complete Order

Let us know if we can help in any way. Please send email to [email protected].

Thank you for shopping with Meade Instruments Corporation!
P.S. You received this email because recently you started an order online with Meade Instruments Corporation and entered your email address but did not complete the order. If you still want the items in your order, we want to make sure you know that you did not place the order and help you if need assistance. You will not receive any further emails from us if you decide not to complete this order. We do not provide your email address to others.

Shopatron North America | PO Box 5351 | San Luis Obispo, CA 93403 | United States
Shopatron UK Ltd. | 19-21 Newport Street | Old Town, Swindon SN1 3DX | Europe

Suncityan

Post by Suncityan »

The first attempt was the whole e-mail, this last one was just the text from the e-mail. Thank You

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

Well...dangit!

Those fine folks at Meade have confirmed that they were full of it when they posted this sale....

here is an email from just now:

Dear Stephen Ramsden,

We have information about your recent Meade Instruments Corporation order #5416686.

The following items have been discontinued, so they have been removed from your order and will not be shipped to you:
Qty Part # Name Total
4 SM90T15SolarMax 90 Telescope with Blocking Filter 15USD$ 7996.00

As your order only included this product, it has been canceled.

If you have any questions about your order, please contact Meade Instruments Corporation at 949-451-1450 x6277 or [email protected]. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Thank you for shopping with us,

Meade Instruments Corporation

###4tdwn56HI63vH1iRbUbXZNkmaLkHWa82LfB3b+XXriI=###

I don't know how that company stays in business with the crap they routinely pull.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
earl

Post by earl »

I still have a little hope left. My order status changed today to "Shipping Soon"

Suncityan

Post by Suncityan »

Congratulations Earl!

Here's the note that was sent to me. Mr. Piper must have earned his pay this morning explaining away the falsehood.

We have sold out on this item but thanks for the interest and inquiry.

Best Regards,

John Piper
Manager, E-Commerce
Meade Instruments Corp.

Bill E.

Post by Bill E. »

I got my "canceled order" email :( How many Christmases did Meade squash with this?

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

My friend Tim Nix at Camera Bug has several H-Alpha scopes in stock at his store just half a mile from my house. His number is 404-873-4513. If anyone is interested I will go there and personally inspect and do a test setup of the scope before it is shipped. He has:

SolarMax II 90
SolarMax II 60
Coronado PST
LS35
LS60
Lunt Wedge
Daystar SolaRedi Penta

and a few others I talked him into buying...

He will not falsely advertise a sale price and then back out...

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Bill E.

Post by Bill E. »

I am sending a letter to:
Meade CEO, John C. Diebel,
John I am writing to you to let you know that there is someone in your salesforce going out of their way to be the Grinch at Christmas.
I responded to your add for Solar Max 90. It was a closeout add and posted on Christmas. Six other astronomy club members also ordered one. After placing my order I was so excited I couldn't sleep that night, what a great deal. We all thought what a great Christmas present Meade has given us. I wonder how many orders were taken that scope on Christmas.
Two days later we all got our e-mail stating our order was canceled. If that's not being a Grinch on Christmas what is. I don't think any of those scopes were even available. You disappointed so many people this Christmas. I heard a rumor you did the same thing last year.
How about making good on this somehow? You could honor your add, or how about a 50% off coupon. For those of us that got screwed by your Grinch.

vidman

Post by vidman »

My friend Tim Nix at Camera Bug has several H-Alpha scopes in stock at his store just half a mile from my house. His number is 404-873-4513. If anyone is interested I will go there and personally inspect and do a test setup of the scope before it is shipped. He has:

SolarMax II 90
SolarMax II 60
Coronado PST
LS35
LS60
Lunt Wedge
Daystar SolaRedi Penta

and a few others I talked him into buying...

He will not falsely advertise a sale price and then back out...

I want to add to this post......Tim provided the Lunt white lite wedge to my wife in time for Christmas plus a polarizer. He was extremely helpful and very quick shipping. I will buy from him again.

Only current negative = No LS80 :(

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

I dont know any of the prices but he uses the same retail prices everyone else uses. You'll have to call him and ask. I dont have anything to do with running the store, I just offer a free inspection service on all the solkar scopes as a perk for him in the market.

The way you were screaming about your Optcorp experience, I would hate to read about your experience with Daystar. Ive never heard anything positive about the dedicated scopes or their customer service. I hope that has changed.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Bill E.

Post by Bill E. »

Stephen, please post camera bug website :)

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

Bill,

He doesn't really do much with the web site so I suggest you call him at 404-873-4513. The owner's name is Tim Nix. Tell him your in my club. its www.camerabug.com but it is rarely updated.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
earl

Post by earl »

I wish they would of had more unit availables for everyone that ordered a SM90 but they did have at least one available which I will be receiving soon.

And yes ... I am doing the Happy Dance right now :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Earl

great, I'm happy for you

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

That's excellent news! You're going to enjoy it alot I reckon ;)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
vidman

Post by vidman »

I'm very happy for you. Is is awesome that a club member was able to score this scope.

My "Lottery" losing streak is still 100%.

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Chuck

I'm sorry for you. Some comfort, It happende x-times to me

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
Bill E.

Post by Bill E. »

Excellent news Earl, :) Give us a first light

earl

Post by earl »

Thanks Bill. It was by pure chance that I saw they had it for sale on Meade before others this time around. Like so many other people the last time they did their clearance I was too late. It should be in early next week so I will be sure to start posting those images soon after.

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

well, I got my argumentative email back from the Meade guy also. Sommething about how I misundrstood the ad or something..

Anyway, Im ecstatic that at least one person on here will get it! I just hope it actually materializes and works.

Stephen

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA