Focuser

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
vidman

Focuser

Post by vidman »

During the SSP our ES 127 was knocked over, along with our Orion EQ-G, by a microburst. So far the only damage I have found is a weakened focuser. Thus, we are saving for a better focuser and are very interested in a Moonlite with their 68mm "stiffer" attachment.

Does anyone have any opinions? If they are negative leave them as a private message as I do not want to make this a company basting string. However comparisons are ok.

Thanks.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Focuser

Post by marktownley »

I have only positive experiences with Moonlite focusers and their accessories; I think they are well made and perform very well. i don't think you will go wrong with one... The only possible caveat is they are quite expensive, but expense is a relative thing, at the end of the day you get what you pay for and I think a decent focuser is a must on any telescope.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
MapleRidge
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by MapleRidge »

I have had great results from Moonlite. Ron has always gone ouit of his way to look after my needs, and had made up a few custom adapters when I need to match his hardware to an odd-ball tube.

I have the DC motor controlled version on 4 scopes...3 refractor units and a SCT version.

I give them a thumbs up.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
brianb11213

Post by brianb11213 »

I have only positive experiences with Moonlite focusers and their accessories; I think they are well made and perform very well. i don't think you will go wrong with one... The only possible caveat is they are quite expensive, but expense is a relative thing, at the end of the day you get what you pay for and I think a decent focuser is a must on any telescope.
No disagreement but in my experience the Feathertouch rack & pinion units are way ahead of any Crayford in smoothness of action as well as load carrying capability. The price is also considerably higher.

Takahashi R&P focusers are rather nice too, but you're less likely to be able to get adapter to fit one of these to an ES scope without going to a custon engineering shop.

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

Well, it cost almost as much as the bigger scope and more than the 102, but my feathertouch focuser adaptor is working flawlessly after much abuse on the 127 and 102 Exp Sci's...

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
vidman

Post by vidman »

[quote]I have only positive experiences with Moonlite focusers and their accessories; I think they are well made and perform very well. i don't think you will go wrong with one... The only possible caveat is they are quite expensive, but expense is a relative thing, at the end of the day you get what you pay for and I think a decent focuser is a must on any telescope.
No disagreement but in my experience the Feathertouch rack & pinion units are way ahead of any Crayford in smoothness of action as well as load carrying capability. The price is also considerably higher.

Takahashi R&P focusers are rather nice too, but you're less likely to be able to get adapter to fit one of these to an ES scope without going to a custon engineering shop.

The feathertouch is rack and pinion? I wasnt aware of the difference between them and moonlight.

brianb11213

Post by brianb11213 »

The feathertouch is rack and pinion? I wasnt aware of the difference between them and moonlight.
The FT 2.5" & larger focusers for refractors are rack & pinion. I think the 2" may be a crayford ...

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

I also have a positive experience with moolite focusers but I prefer the feahertouch models. I have several FT (rack and pinion and crayford) installed in some of my refractors.

Check out this short article I worte in 2010:

http://www.astrosurf.com/re/original_cr ... ocuser.pdf
Ré, P. (2010). The Original Crayford Focuser.

regards

gbealnz
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by gbealnz »

I don't think you can wrong with either the F/T or the Moonlite, Ron is exceptional at service.
F/T make 2" and bigger versions, and there is a R&P in the 2" as well, although most of the 2" are Crayford. The 2" R&P is a work of art, but horrendously priced. As many have stated you get what you pay for.
All of the larger than 2" are R&P.
I have a few, and am looking to buy another for the SM60/Zeiss combo, saves me pinching it each time I need it from the 10" newt.