Lunt Solar Imager trials Oct 2011

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lunt Solar Imager trials Oct 2011

Post by solarchat »

I tried out the new Lunt Solar Imager today. Kind'a wish I hadn't since everyone got those great looping prominences all day long. This may have been a bad day to try out a totally new method of imaging for the first time...:)

The Lunt Solar Imager is designed to be used as a single exposure capture device. It is not a video camera, it is more like a really high end DSLR than the standard DMK or PGR stuff we are all used to. I must say that the packaging and the feel of the unit is superb. it is certainly a nice setup. I just don't think I was able to get out of it what I was supposed to today. The images looked great for single exposures but I just wasn't used to it enough to get world class quality.

Of course I used a double stacked LS100 today and concentrated on surface detail so I was sort of oblivious to the whole looping prominences until I saw Chris's images..

There is a complete gallery of images and pictures of the camera and packaging itself at this hyperlink

It had some really nice features like a full color preview mode. This made for an awesome focusing window and I can see its potential at an outreach event..

The CaK shots were pretty good too

All in all, it is an excellent product. It is a method of imaging that I am not familiar with yet but as a first run with such a different method I believe that these images are pretty good! I will work on it some more before I give it an official review...

Remember, all the images above are simply single shots from the camera...no avi's recorded, no registax, none of that stuff. Just a snapshot of the Sun sharpened and colored a little in photoshop.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
Cschur
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Lunt Solar Imager trials Oct 2011

Post by Cschur »

So I don't get it, does the camera put out black and white or a color image? How can there be a color preview if you colorized them later in PS?

Chris Schur

----------------------------------

Birch Mesa Observatory, Payson Arizona

Clear Creek Canyon Observatory, Happy Jack, Arizona
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

Chris, the LSI has the ability to replace the monochrome preview image with a colorized one during preview. It's called a flase color palette. The image is always recorded in monochrome.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Ken Crawford

Post by Ken Crawford »

Nice looking system - mainly because of the ability to preview in color at publick events! very nice!

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

they are definitely single frame. There is an option to average together several frames but I did not use it,.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Bill E.

Post by Bill E. »

:) Rusty, Thats cool ,you make it look easy.Now I need an old camera to try.

MissBluesArtAstro

Post by MissBluesArtAstro »

hello
waouu nice telescope and beautiful sunshine! ;)