ATTENTION MEMBERS some changes due to furlough

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

ATTENTION MEMBERS some changes due to furlough

Post by solarchat »

This is not an emergency and there are no plans to stop the program.

However, the sequestration has caused me to both lose my solar glasses sponsor (they rely on dues from now furloughed federal employees) and I have myself been furloughed and am in effect getting my pay reduced by about 20% gross until further notice.

I don't have any issues with the pay cut personally as I can easily absorb that. I also know that a lot of others are hurting a lot more. The problem is that the 50% of my income that goes to the nonprofit every two weeks will be cut by %20. The main issue is that I will no longer be getting the glasses paid for by my sponsor. This is a MAJOR hit to the charity. Everything else is paid for free and clear, but the $9500.oo (US) 2 or 3 times per year for glasses is the largest expense of the entire program and I cannot absorb that by myself. Hopefully someone in the astronomy community will see the benefit in sponsoring the glasses but if the past is any indication, no one will.

What this means to us is that the glasses that I have left will have to be used exclusively for the people that I actually see in my outreach program. I have enough for about 3 months. Club members will have to acquire them from Rainbow Symphony at this link. These are sold at the same price that I pay for them and I get a small credit towards additional glasses on my next order if you order yours from there.

The Jon Wood Awards will also no longer be in the $1500-$5000 range if they even exist at all for a while until I can secure a new sponsor.

I apologize for the change in policy but this ridiculous government furlough is effecting federal employees (again) more than anyone else.

If anyone knows of an entity that would like to get their logo and/or message out to over a million people per year by sponsoring the glasses please speak up. It would run $9500.00 twice a year and you would get your company message delivered in person to over 100,000 people and exposed on the internet to hundreds of thousands of others. Not to mention you would be doing something positive for the community...

Again, the program is in no danger of stopping, just all the massive freebies sent all over the world will be stopped until further notice.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ATTENTION MEMBERS some changes due to furlough

Post by solarchat »

and by the way, this is not a call for financial support from you guys. The private donations from club members and others outside the forum pay for all the web hosting stuff, emails, forum expenses and gas and travel expenses and I am very grateful.

This is more of a corporate sponsor issue.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
wkyee
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by wkyee »

Will you still be able to make it to NEAF?

Dr. Willie Yee

President, Mid-Hudson Astronomical Association
Commander, Prius-class shuttlecraft Zhang Heng
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

I was never planning on going to NEAF this year. To many changes up there for my taste, not to mention I was not invited to "bring my entire program to New York at my expense" until about 2 weeks ago and the dates were all booked..

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
sullij1
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by sullij1 »

Bummer! I hope they reach some sensible agreements on sequester soon. I see and hear ATC being mentioned as something that may not be on furlough for long (gonna impact too much commerce).

Keep us in the loop. You support us – we support you.

Look Up!
swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Stephen

I'm so sorry to hear that. They sun glasses have two handles. Couldn't we attract two sponsors? one for the left handle, the other for the right handle. I have just contacted two bosses and asked them whethter they are interested in it. They will think it over. I did not receive a NO ;-)

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
stets
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by stets »

Hmmm ... I don't have an answer for you today, but I hear you.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I am very sorry to hear this Stephen, I can only pray that times get better. It is turning out to be a tough year for us all so far :(

Alexandra

Bill E.

Post by Bill E. »

Stephen,
This is truly sad news. :( Hard times here in NJ too. You will be missed at NEAF .Hopefully better times ahead :)

nqastronomy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by nqastronomy »

G'day Stephen,

What a bummer hearing about the cuts from the Government. Hope everything returns to normal soon!

My grandfather had a saying which rings true in a variety of situations.

"For instant milk - just add water. If you want it to curdle, get a politician to mix it!!!!!!" :P

Avagoodone.

Rob
NQAEO

vidman

Post by vidman »

I am sorry that the charity is hit so badly. You do so much for the kids.

I hope the politicians get their acts together. (not just for this)

NEAF attendees will miss you. Rockland has a long way to go to reach what NEAF was up till this year.

colinbm

Post by colinbm »

Thanks Stephen for explaining your predicament. I hope another sponsor or solution arrives soon.
Col

sullij1

Post by sullij1 »

Looks like the ATC thing got worked out when vacation time came for congress. :) :cheer: :lol: Funny how that works! :evil: I think we will see more selective spending bring programs back. We can hope the K-12 outreach is among them.

Look Up!
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

Talked to my buddy over at NASA SDO and SOHO yesterday and he has been told that the entire public outreach program contract will be eliminated. As much as the news would like for you to believe, The air traffic controllers furlough has not actually ended yet.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
sullij1

Post by sullij1 »

Good luck with ATC, hope it resolves soon. It would be a shame if they killed the K-12 program. The last news I saw said nothing is final. Perhaps there will be corporate financial angels that pitch in to keep outreach going. I remain positive in a negative space. ;) . I knew an old man who used to say, "America aint goin nowhere, there is a brighter tommorow". I think he is right. How long to the brighter tommorow is the question. ;)

Look Up!