Ha Sun - Saturday 3rd March

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Ha Sun - Saturday 3rd March

Post by marktownley »

Following a wet start to the day as a cold front pushed through, I had a decent spell of blue sky this afternoon before the next band of squally showers came through. Seeing wasn't too clever in the unstable air mass, but transparency was about as good as it gets here in the UK. This shot was taken with the mini ERF removed from the BF10 and replaced with a Baader Neodymium Sky Glow filter in it's place. Visually there is no difference with or without, however imaging wise the image is significantly more contrasty, with only a slight reduction in exposure. My theory is that the Neodymium is cutting some infra red, which when imaging if passed lowers contrast causing a blooming effect - there is a pseudo spicule ring in my images that is present when the Neodymium filter is not there; I don't think this is actually a real spicule ring at all but rather a defocussed slightly larger overlay limb of the sun caused by noise leak at IR wavelengths. (I'm not saying the spicule ring doesn't exist - it clearly does - just in the context of my setup without the Neodymium filter).

Either way, I will be leaving the Neodymium filter in-situ from now on...

The image was taken with the DS40 at f20, DMK31, 6 panes assembled in photomerge CS4, I-USM applied and not a wavelet in sight! The black and white is my favourite, but i've included the colour for those who prefer that one!

Ha Full Disk Neodymium b&w by Mark Townley, on Flickr

The full size pic HERE! is definitely worth a look!!!

Ha Full Disk Neodymium Colour by Mark Townley, on Flickr

Full size HERE!

I'm really pleased with how this has come out! Have data for Ha disk without the Neodymium, CaK & WL disks too I need to process, however out for a meal soon so may not get these up till tomorrow.

Hope you like!

Mark :)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
vidman

Re: Ha Sun - Saturday 3rd March

Post by vidman »

Nice work Mark.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks chuck! :)

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Mark

that is a great job you have done with excellent results :bow:

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Wonderful work again Mark!

I really struggled with seeing too, although I am finding my PST very hard to focus since the new year and my tuner is still right on the stop. I am sure this is why my image quality has gone down. Certainly my views are much diminished compared to last summer. I do not know what has gone wrong. Oh well, I just hope it doesn't go worse otherwise it will not be tunable.

Regards
Alexandra

Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp »

Thanks Mark just had a quick look at that larges Sunspot moving into view Too many clouds here as yet.

Cschur

Post by Cschur »

Mark, magnificent image, I want to get out and see this beast!

Chris Schur

----------------------------------

Birch Mesa Observatory, Payson Arizona

Clear Creek Canyon Observatory, Happy Jack, Arizona
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thank you all! Appreciated!

Alexandra, in what respect are you finding it hard to focus? Our PST at work is sat right on the stop too - I wonder if can be altered? Hmmmm....

Mark

Wonderful work again Mark!

I really struggled with seeing too, although I am finding my PST very hard to focus since the new year and my tuner is still right on the stop. I am sure this is why my image quality has gone down. Certainly my views are much diminished compared to last summer. I do not know what has gone wrong. Oh well, I just hope it doesn't go worse otherwise it will not be tunable.

Regards
Alexandra

andreahaku

Post by andreahaku »

Very good images.
I'm happy that Baader Neodymium works for you as well ;)

Andrea

mattwastell

Post by mattwastell »

Thanks for the great views Mark - the big pics are sweet!!!!

Matt Wastell

Look up, look good!

http://www.pbase.com/mattwastell
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks for that Link, i've bookmarked it Neo :) Useful stuff to know...

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks Neo :) that looks very simple but I'm scared to death, although the hubby said 'that looks simple we can do that', we'll see. I think if you can't get properly on Ha band you can't get good focus. It's something I just can't pin down but it just does not seem like it used to be. I also now have to use a gain of 300-320 regularly to achieve an image at the same exposure, whereas I never had to change the gain before. Possibly it is my camera, or my eyesight is poorer or I'm not quite on band, who knows!

I'll let you know if I pluck up the courage.

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I also now have to use a gain of 300-320 regularly to achieve an image at the same exposure, whereas I never had to change the gain before. Possibly it is my camera, or my eyesight is poorer or I'm not quite on band, who knows!

Yeah, similar for me atm too, I just think the lower altitude sun is passing through thicker atmosphere and is therefore a bit dimmer...

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Superb H-alpha full disk mosaic Mark. You got everything yesterday (WL, CaK and H-alpha...)

best results