Boulder Colorado Solar Outreach

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
BobW
The Sun?
The Sun?

Boulder Colorado Solar Outreach

Post by BobW »

On October 27th 2014 I was able to conduct 2 CBSAP events in Boulder CO. During lunch at Flatirons Elementary School approximately 90 students were able to view the Sun between the clouds. The second graders were absolutely outstanding in their behavior. They were last in line but waited patiently for their turn. Even though time for lunch had passed they were not disappointed because their teacher allowed them to return to the classroom after they viewed the sun. I guess you can't please everyone because one student said she had not heard of a Lunt Ha telescope and besides she preferred looking at the moon, maybe next time. Around 3:00 PM I set up the telescope at the Chautauqua Park in Boulder for a group called the Hawk Circle. These children experience nature at the foot of the Flatiron formations west of Boulder so solar observing was right up there alley. I have attached some photos from the late afternoon session. Bob
Attachments
2014-10-27-08.48.48.jpg
2014-10-27-08.48.02.jpg
2014-10-27-08.46.42.jpg
2014-10-27-08.43.29.jpg
2014-10-27-08.43.26.jpg

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Boulder Colorado Solar Outreach

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Bob

what a wonderful outreach event, congratulations. Gloves and barefoot, what a contrast ;)

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Excellent, well done :hamster: :hamster: :hamster: is it cold or hot where your are?

Alexandra

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Post by michael.h.f.wilkinson »

Great event! Lovely to see kids getting involved (and excited)

Solar kit: GP-C8 with Thousand Oaks Solar filter, APM 80mm F/6, Lunt Herschel Wedge, Solar Spectrum 0.3Å H-alpha filter, Beloptic Tri-Band ERF (80mm free aperture), Thousand Oaks 90mm ERF, Coronado SolarMax II 60mm with Double Stack Unit. Lunt straight B1800 Ca-K module.
grimble_cornet

Post by grimble_cornet »

Great to see so many happy faces - fantastic job you're doing there Bob.

Mike Garbett

Selection of Solar and Deep Sky images on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Fantastic outreach!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
BobW
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by BobW »

Swisswalter; you have good attention to detail. I didn't notice bare feet on site or in the pictures. Montana; in response to your question the weather while we were in Boulder was 70 to 80 F. On the afternoon of the outreach it was cooling off probably around 60 as the sun was close to going behind the mountains. A little breeze off the mountains made a light jacket worth while. I don't live in Colorado, we are in Northwest Wisconsin about 120 miles south of Lake Superior. It was -5 F when I checked this morning and 10 F a while ago when I went outside to take a quick look at the sun through my PST. Winter observing is infrequent as most days are cloudy often with snow. However cold clear days like today are great!

Bob

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks for the info :)

Last photo, girl on the left is barefoot, so I guess it was very warm compared to here ;)

Alexandra

James0057
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by James0057 »

SUNTASTIC looking CBSAP Outreach BOB !! Looks like all are having a great time !! ROCK ON !