Greg Piepol. . . my Inspiration!

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Gary Palmer

Greg Piepol. . . my Inspiration!

Post by Gary Palmer »

Over the years Greg Piepol has been a driving force and inspiration to me!

I thought it would be fun to share a behind the scenes look into how we supported one another.

While Greg would be preparing for a Solar presentation I would begin to send pictures to him. They would feature a Blimp that had his name/banner on it, this blimp would be shown traveling from city to city all across the USA and would eventually end up in the city where Greg’s presentation was taking place.

This “Photoshop” picture was of Greg’s presentation at the Winter Star Party in Florida. . . and yes that's Greg on stage doing a sound check in a purple "Calcium-K" suit!

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Greg Piepol. . . my Inspiration!

Post by marktownley »

Lol, like it :P

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
gpiepol

Post by gpiepol »

OK.. now I'm blushing! Thank you Gary.

One of the most amazing things about solar observing is how strongly it affects people. With nighttime observing, sure I was blown away but, I didn't feel compelled to go around the country telling people of the beauty of the nighttime sky. With solar, I instantly knew I wanted to share the view of the sun. Talks, magazine articles, podcasts, observing, chat forums... whatever. Each time I set up a solar scope the feedback was overwhelming and I wanted to show it more and more.

For me, the solar community is very encouraging. People drive for miles just to stop by and chat at the eyepiece. If they can't drive then they'll email. Feel strongly about sharing your view on stage? Create a presentation and the group will show up and support you. Pretty cool!

Some even devote their entire lives to spreading the solar word (look in the dictionary under Gary Palmer and Stephen Ramsden)!

Greg

Bill E.

Post by Bill E. »

Thank you Greg and Gary. I find you both inspiring.

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

Greg buddy,
You have a real talent for hitting the nail squarely on the head with what got you into solar ouireach. I couldn't describe it better....

(as my C14 and C9.25 gather dust in the garage for a fourth straight year)

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

(as my C14 and C9.25 gather dust in the garage for a fourth straight year)

I have a C8 that only gets used once or twice a year for the occasional lunar or planetary view... Know what you mean Stephen...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Gary Palmer

Post by Gary Palmer »

Hey Greg! I would be blushing 2 if i was wearing that purple Calcium-K suit. . .

I've dusted off my Celestron 11-inch carbon fiber tube and have been enjoying the deep sky stars. . . .

Astronomy has come full circle for me as I'm back to where it all began. . .the sky is X-citing!