received

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

received

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Stephen

today we received a big parcel with lot's of very good stuff. Wonderful, thank you very much.

My boss has instantly decided to support the project "outreach club" and will give me a half day off per week (in average) to arrange and carry out the events. He further will invest in the translations and printing of the fleyer's and cards in german. He want's to have banners (7 feet hight) on his own costs with the sun and his company name on it (o.k., o.k. o.k. ).

I'm so happy

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: received

Post by Montana »

I too got mine :) :) :)

Luckily the hubby was working from home otherwise it would have been Saturday. It was like Christmas, a big box of solar goodies. THANK YOU STEPHEN. I love the hat!

I wish my employer would give me a half day off, I still haven't heard anything from them yet, they seemed very keen when I asked and they said would let me know if I was allowed, I must send another e-mail and chase them up. I'm all ready to go :)

Kind regards
Alexandra

Bill E.

Post by Bill E. »

Walter, we all need a boss like that. :mrgreen:

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

You can say that again Bill. My employer is a heartless scrooge when it comes to science outreach even though they proclaim to support it.

Im really glad you guys got your stuff and cant wait to see what creative things you all come up with..

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
vidman

Post by vidman »

Hi Stephen

today we received a big parcel with lot's of very good stuff. Wonderful, thank you very much.

My boss has instantly decided to support the project "outreach club" and will give me a half day off per week (in average) to arrange and carry out the events. He further will invest in the translations and printing of the fleyer's and cards in german. He want's to have banners (7 feet hight) on his own costs with the sun and his company name on it (o.k., o.k. o.k. ).

I'm so happy

This is awesome Walter. I am often amazed at the generosity of corporations of the Swiss and Germanic nations. In America the first response would be, "How much money will this make for the company?" I know that statement is a generalization. I love it when a rare occurrence proves me wrong.

It does my heart good when I see I am associated with people that not only have an enthusiastic attitude about this hobby but an enthusiastic attitude of giving back to our communities. Stephen sets a very good example and a model to aspire to copy.

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

Your right about that Chuck! Luckily, I have a high paying although mind and body wrecking job. If I had an average income I could never afford the 50-60 thousand dollars a year it takes to maintain this program. You would (or maybe you wouldn't) be amazed at the selfish, and ignorant attitude most people have about supporting charities. This world is stagnant right now as far as space exploration and scientific advances go. What are we thinking?
Exploring new and refined ways of killing or hating each other has been the preoccupation now for over 500 years. If we are going to become a multi planet species we have got to get moving. I am convinced that it takes several tiny little programs like ours and several peoplse doing relatively small things in their local communities to add together to make a movement towards cientific advancement of the society.

I cant even think about the ridiculous self humiliation I have seen people put themselves through extreme embarrasment to get a free kids size t-shirt or hat at my events. Its amazing to me that someone would come up and just take a whole table full of goodies from a kids charity and not leave a dime in the tin. However, you also get the folks that come up, smile and dont take a thing and leave a hundred dollar bill. I just quit thinking about it because it is such a drain to watch people humiliate themselves over an eight dollar shirt or hat.

I dont have any kids so it is not that big of a sacrifice for us to finance the program in the name of global science. Dont get me started, I could go on and on.

I just concentrate on doing what I can do and not worry about the rest.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Wissixwe

Post by Wissixwe »

My box inspired me to get cracking on a simple project I've been thinking about - I'm making a chalkboard: "Your Sun Today". It will have two blank discs - a red one for H-alpha and a white one for white light. (I work on a tight budget and printer ink is expensive for a one-day use.) I'm no imager, but I'm pretty good with a pastel pencil, so I will put the day's features on the blackboard for guests to get an idea of what to look for. I figure the board will also serve as interactive media for kids, too. The board will b e big enough to post notes and there will be a space for Sun Facts as well. I guess this sounds primitive in this high-tech era, but I think it's gonna work for me.

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

Actually, this is the essence of our club. Creative ways to share the Sun....just like it says at the top of the page under the banner.
Im assuming that you are a teacher then? I would love to show your project online once you get it going. Please continue and let me know if I can send you anything to help!!

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
vidman

Post by vidman »

My box inspired me to get cracking on a simple project I've been thinking about - I'm making a chalkboard: "Your Sun Today". It will have two blank discs - a red one for H-alpha and a white one for white light. (I work on a tight budget and printer ink is expensive for a one-day use.) I'm no imager, but I'm pretty good with a pastel pencil, so I will put the day's features on the blackboard for guests to get an idea of what to look for. I figure the board will also serve as interactive media for kids, too. The board will b e big enough to post notes and there will be a space for Sun Facts as well. I guess this sounds primitive in this high-tech era, but I think it's gonna work for me.

That is an awe inspiring way to bring about interest. Our 11 yr old daughter is highly interested in Art. You would own her attention at an Outreach conducted this way.

Wissixwe

Post by Wissixwe »

Not a teacher by profession, but I've done a lot of astronomy outreach over the years. I will post pix of the beastie when it's finished. Heh - I am thinking of using glow in the dark paint to give the blank disks a bit of a boost. That will require a few experiments to see how chalk paint works when mixed or layered.

One must have a disaster or two for a project to really feel worthwhile, right? :silly:

vidman

Post by vidman »

Your right about that Chuck! Luckily, I have a high paying although mind and body wrecking job. If I had an average income I could never afford the 50-60 thousand dollars a year it takes to maintain this program. You would (or maybe you wouldn't) be amazed at the selfish, and ignorant attitude most people have about supporting charities. This world is stagnant right now as far as space exploration and scientific advances go. What are we thinking?
Exploring new and refined ways of killing or hating each other has been the preoccupation now for over 500 years. If we are going to become a multi planet species we have got to get moving. I am convinced that it takes several tiny little programs like ours and several peoplse doing relatively small things in their local communities to add together to make a movement towards cientific advancement of the society.

I cant even think about the ridiculous self humiliation I have seen people put themselves through extreme embarrasment to get a free kids size t-shirt or hat at my events. Its amazing to me that someone would come up and just take a whole table full of goodies from a kids charity and not leave a dime in the tin. However, you also get the folks that come up, smile and dont take a thing and leave a hundred dollar bill. I just quit thinking about it because it is such a drain to watch people humiliate themselves over an eight dollar shirt or hat.

I dont have any kids so it is not that big of a sacrifice for us to finance the program in the name of global science. Dont get me started, I could go on and on.

I just concentrate on doing what I can do and not worry about the rest.

Amen Brother!

Solar129

Post by Solar129 »

The box of goodies turned up today so will be sorting the first event for January to join in the national event of Stargazing Live. I will be working on what we are doing over the next few weeks

Thanks Stephen for your support.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

That's pretty darned impressive walter!!! B) B) B)

Good work sir! ;)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
RobinT

Post by RobinT »

I really like your idea. As far as ink prices, check out monoprice.com

RobinT

Post by RobinT »

I am so excited that Chuck and I got our goodies. We are just waiting to get a scope so we can start our viewing. In the meantime I have had a handful of 6-7th graders in our neighborhood use the glasses. It was great to hear what they said as soon as they used the glasses. Right away they want to know when we will be going to their school and when will we have the telescope set up. In the meantime I have a few ideas in my head, now all we have to do is implement them.
I think this is such an awesome thing you are doing Stephen!