Venus Transit Outreach Poster

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Venus Transit Outreach Poster

Post by solarchat »

Members,

I recently went through some great strife with the local Staples retailstore. I took my Venus Transit poster there to try and get some 24 x 36 color posters made up to hand out at my events.

I was lured in with the $20 each advertisement on their website abnd got a little carried away. By the time it was all over I had ordered 10 posters for almost $45 each. When I asked for one of them to be mounted and laminated on some foam core, the price shot up to $83.99!!! for a single poster!!!

Anyway, I asked to cancel the order especially since one of the professors at the University of Hawaii that was with us on Mauna Kea offered to print up a bunch of them for free. Staples said no and I ended up having to pay almost $750 for the 10 posters and mailing tubes etc... A really stupid decision.

Anyway, I paid with my personal funds as I could not justify the nonprofit absorbing the cost of my stupidity.

I am going to make lemonade out of this really big lemon now and just give these posters away to anyone who wants to use them for outreach.

They are beautiful prints for sure and look great on my little stand up outreach signs...

here is a picture of one in action. It is the sign on the right. It was laminated and mounted onto a piece of foam core for about $20 extra.

If you would like to use one of these posters for your outreach I will gladly send it to you for free on the promise that you will have it at least laminated so it will last and possibly mounted at your location and that it will be used for outreach.

Im trying to make something good come out of this debacle and the best way I know to combat a bad deal is to turn it around and make it a fantastic deal for someone else by just giving it away. Im werd, I know but thats just how I roll...

So, if you want one, they are very limited....:).. and among the world's most expensive posters!...for free... Just send me your request here and make sure I have your shipping address. International folks welcome. If you are a club member, I already have your address...

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Venus Transit Outreach Poster

Post by Montana »

I don't know Stephen, you need to concentrate more :) (that's what Mum used to say, and now the hubby does too).

Alexandra

astrodanco

Post by astrodanco »

Wow, you really got taken advantage of.

We should have two competitions to see who can come up with:

1. The best 24" x 36" solar outreach poster (we'll vote on it).

2. The least expensive way to have a 24" x 36" outdoor (UV ink) poster professionally printed.

Then we can combine poster #1 with printer #2. :evil:

All submissions become property of the club without restrictions.

Bill E.

Post by Bill E. »

Stephen,
Could I get one of the ones on the left in your first picture?
Thanks Bill

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

wow, nobody wants one huh?

Bill, Astro Dan Cook sent me the other one. You'll have to get the file from him,

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
Derek Klepp
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Derek Klepp »

Don't feel too bad mate.One of my honey processing machines had a gliche the old man ordered a new one. I got the old one fixed now we have two .5K of unecessary expense.We live and learn and learn to live. Anyway its only money.

astrodanco

Post by astrodanco »

A single poster likely costs more to ship than it is worth.

You can find a JPEG version of this 24"x36" poster at: http://sdrv.ms/MJpB9T

You might also find the following 30"x72" banner to be of interest: http://sdrv.ms/LLGbrs

The posters attach very nicely to 24"x36" plastic signboards that I then insert into each side of a quick change a-frame Signicade curb sign. I really like those white plastic a-frame curb signs.

I think the banner worked out better than the poster (except that wind can be problematic with the banner).

If you have these printed, be sure to specify matte finish.

I had them printed at vistaprint.com.

I also had some very nice high quality Charlie Bates Solar Outreach Project business cards printed up: http://sdrv.ms/MG8Rwe

Note that I'm totally art illiterate, so these things are not particularly well done.

Bill E.

Post by Bill E. »

Astro Dan :thanx:
k2u