Loaner Scopes to International Members

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Loaner Scopes to International Members

Post by solarchat »

Dhinakar,

I am preparing a box to send your way just like I did last time but unfortunately, since the scope/mount box would weigh over 200 lbs it would cost the charity more than the retail price of the items just to ship it to India, not even considering the costs for you to get it out of customs.
Plus, anytime you ship one of these scopes you are taking a big risk of damage, this is why I tried out the scope and mount loaner with a local member so I could hand deliver it. If it works out I will ship them wherever I can legally. I would also be breaking US law as I am not a licensed exporter.

Just sending you a box of glasses is over $100 in shipping. Remember, I am just one regular person in the US, I am not a company nor do I have a corporate sponsor, its just my personal money and the occasional donation from individuals and groups. At an average cost of $250 per event I just cant justify spending 3 or 4 thousand dollars to send a telescope and mount to India.

I am sorry of this is bad news but the intention of the outreach club was never to give everyone free scopes and mounts, it is to distribute the little extras that make it easier to do the outreach with your own equipment. It is also meant to be a motivator to get more people involved in solar astronomy outreach. Another main objective was to get members to share their excess equipment, like I already have, with other members of the club. I have 4 cameras, 2 scopes, 1 mount, and thousands of glasses out there with club members now because I wasn't using them full time for my program. I was trying to be an example to other members to share their stuff. Perhaps another member would consider donating their excess equipment to the club by shipping it to you for your use in India. I already have over $12,000 worth of stuff on loan and I dont have anymore to loan out right now.

So, if you want any of the listed items below, and they will help you in solar astronomy outreach, I will be glad to send them if you tell me how many you can use.

Here is what I can afford to send you (and any other inernational members):

solar glasses
solar related posters
CBSAP stickers
CBSAP lanyards and hats
a CBSAP vinyl banner
NASA holograms and assorted goodies

I can possibly go and buy you a package of baadar film but if I send you a complete filter you will have to pay customs and import charges.

footnote: It pains me to not be able to give everyone in the club a free scope and mount but I have to be realistic. I do make a lot of money but I am by no means a millionaire or rich. I just did my taxes for the year last night and I brought home a little over $90,000 US after taxes and insurance and I gave away $32,000 of that to various charities including $24,000 to CBSAP. I have a mortgage and a family too, so thats all I can do. It takes a village my friends, it takes a village.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
rdhinakar

Re: Loaner Scopes to International Members

Post by rdhinakar »

No problem Stephen! I agree. Not at all a issue. Even I don't want to burden you. The projection I am working on now, might help to get the solar observation to a large audience at a minimal cost! I hope to test the device I made next week when I hope to get the good sun! If the outcome is fine, we can recommend the same to many. I would be really happy if the projection is being used by all especially by students of schools in Africa and other third world countries as they can enjoy the spots like we do via scopes and cameras! If the testing is a success, the system can be made within Max USD 1 to 10 or INR: 30 to 500 depending on the material! I hope Sun will be out next week! The system is patent free!

Richard
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Richard »

Hi Stephen, you do a fantastic job, much more than anybody would expect.
I was supprised that you loaned out scopes, never mind sending them overseas... It's a shame that non of the large manufacturers have contacted you, as I know in the UK there is not a lot of choice and buying one is a gamble as its hard to get to see one in the flesh so to speak. So would have thought that it would have been a bonus for the manufacturers to lend or supply a 'Demo' scope for people to share around which in a group event there is bound to be a couple who would buy one..... I know at star parties in the UK, once a few have looked through the PST they then want one....
Keep up the great work Stephen, it is apreciated....

Coronado PST DS,

Skywatcher ED80 Pro Apo Refractor + White light with Lunt 2" wedge.

Skywatcher ST80 modded,

Canon 1000D

Vixen GPDX Skysensor 2000, CG4, CG5GT

Philips SPC900NC webcam, Long Ex & Amp Off Mod

Philips SPC900NC mono chip webcam.

+ Collection of Vintage Hawaiian Ukuleles.
vidman

Post by vidman »

Richard....you make a lot of sense concerning manufacturers having demos for international groups. It certainly would NOT hurt their business plans.