Kinda/Sorta Outreach

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Suncityan

Kinda/Sorta Outreach

Post by Suncityan »

There is an ongoing kinda/sorta outreach program here in Sun City.

What I mean is since I've pretty much finished the six months long construction project of installing a Solar PV System here at home, the folks who supplied the materials and most of the labor have been sending potential customers by to see how the system looks on my house.

While showing them around and explaining what every part of the system does, I give them a pair of Charlie Bates Solar Glasses and a lecture on the sun too. There has been one occasion when we could see a naked eye spot.

It's interesting seeing the other folks who live in this retirement community get excited about viewing the sun in real time. Whenever my 'observatory' gets back on line I might invite them back to get a real close up view.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Kinda/Sorta Outreach

Post by marktownley »

Great stuff! My neighbours often have a look through my scope in the warmer weather...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

That sounds so exciting! what a great outreach, I hope the company gave you a discount for such a solar sales pitch :)

Regards
Alexandra

Suncityan

Post by Suncityan »

Well Alexandra, we did work out what I thought was a fair price for our system since it is the first in the community.

The company wanting to get their foot in the door here said they would discount the cost a little if we'd let potential buyers look at our system. They said that we'd be a test case with the city inspectors since they had no idea what residential building codes would apply to a Solar PV System. That turned out to be a big deal - the city inspectors have changed their minds several times causing the system to undergo one major change and some small changes are required nearly every other day.

The system is working great but not certified so we can't leave it on unless it is being adjusted/tested.

Two folks who came by today who have actually signed contracts for installation of similar systems at their homes told me what their systems were going to cost and the average is ten percent higher than the cost of ours so the company did give us a good price.

i asked about the configuration of their systems and they will be identical to ours as it is today after all the revisions. The company did go to school on our home's system.

Up until now the company has installed only large commercial systems, Tommy

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Tommy

great story. Well done. Hope it turns out to be a long living system

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)