Tutorial: Impressive Relief effect Full-HD

these are all of the great references that our users have shared with others.

Moderator: marktownley

colmic

Tutorial: Impressive Relief effect Full-HD

Post by colmic »

Hi all,

this week-end rain is over Paris... So I decided to process some images, and attempt to produce a small relief effect.

Here are many images in 1920x1080 you can put on wallpapers if you want, this will make me happy :)
Or take a look in full-screen, it's impressive to see relief effect on some images!

So let's go (right-clic on the images to put them as wallpaper):

colmic

Re: Impressive Relief effect Full-HD Wallpapers!

Post by colmic »

Thank you Walter, Stu, Lou and Ralph :)

Ralph, images are taken with this tutorial tech: http://solarchat.natca.net/index.php/en ... my-mosaics

In addition, I used: Contrast+, Saturation++, Gamma-, and that's all!

The relief effect is only due to the rotation of these images to have limb filaments on top of the image, and Brain's sensation :)

gabrieli
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by gabrieli »

Hi Michel

After reading your tutorial and doing some trial exposures, I realized something you said earlier about your method
and the way your results look. You said that you used your Tak as a double stack. That turns out to be a very important requirement
before anyone can expect the same beautiful tones as you produce when you finish.

Compare your starting image with mine:

Notice that my disc is brighter than yours but does not show proms against the sky while your disc is darker than mine
but does show proms against the sky. That is a double stack effect. In single stack, proms can be recorded with the disc but the disc would be very bright.

If you apply Shadows/Highlights or levels on my image to make the proms appear you would require a significant increase in the disc brightness. I may have to process the disc and proms separately or to fix up a double stack (not anytime soon).

colmic

Post by colmic »

Lou, I am aware that double stack is an real advantage.

BUT:

Take a look at these SS images, wich i used exactly the same processing:

Just changed a little the values of Shadows/highlights for these images. Disc brightness sould be reduced with the Highlights values.

Haven't found my full SM90 SS yet, but will post them soon.

gabrieli

Post by gabrieli »

Hi Michel

This is the opposite of your tutorial - mostly words

All of the full discs I've done use single stack images. The ones that give you the most control, I think,
are the ones where you start with two images, one for proms and spicules and the other for
the disc. Recently, I started using a single 16 bit image.

I like to process the two regions separately.
Sometimes you want to make the prom region brighter or darker without affecting the disc or maybe colour the regions differently.

Using a single 16 bit image

I prefer full disks as inversions where the proms seem to continue from the disc. This means you have to invert only the disc as you keep the spicule/prom layer intact as positives.

I use a careful application of the circle selection tool to contain the disc just inside the spicule layer.

To get the precise size of the circle selection tool

1. Click the circle selection tool and draw the circle inside the disc. Choose 2 px feathering.

2. Go to the Select menu and choose Transform. At the top of the screen, note the dimensions of the circle, both 100%.

3. Click the chain between the two. Changing one will the change the other the same way to keep the circle shape.

4. Change one to a higher %.

5. Repeat and roughly centre the circle inside the disk by dragging.

6. The changes you make next will be small and precise. Magnify the image to precisely position the circle selection so that it is inside the spicule layer. Use the arrow keys to position the circle selection.

7. After changing the size of the circle selection, look around the disc to make sure the selection looks the same all the way around
with the disc inside the selection and the proms/spicules outside.

8. Once you are happy with the selection, press "Enter" to confirm the selection.

9. Go ahead and invert your disk.

10. You can make any changes you want now to your disc alone - Levels, Sharpen , whatever you like.

11. Now go to Select and choose "Inverse" to choose everything outside the disc.

12. Now apply all the changes you want to the prom/spicule layer.

13. Choose "Deselect" from the Select menu.

14. If you want to make changes, use "Edit" and choose "Step Backwards".

This method was used for this image(colouring is to your personal taste)

Using two separate images

1. In this method I start by processing the disc image alone, first . . . Invert, Levels, Sharpen etc.
Sometimes processing the disc will alter its size slightly, usually making it smaller around the edge.

2. Then, I select the disc using the method described in the previous steps(Selecting by colour isn't always perfect)

3. Paste the disc onto the prom/spicule layer.

4. If you find that the disc looks too small (spicule layer is too thick), delete the disc layer and change the size of the prom spicule layer a little.

5. Paste (do not recopy disc since it is still copied)

6. Repeat until the fit looks good. Check that the fit is symmetrical all the way around. Use the arrow keys to shift the disc.

7. Don't flatten yet. You can choose the disc or prom layers to make more changes if necessary.

8. Flatten when you are content.

Try this with a sample image and see if any question or suggestions for improvements come up.