The Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project is proudly sponsored by the following fine companies:
ImageImageImageImage
Lou took this great image of a prom with his Lunt152 double stacked with a Quark

Welcome to Solar Chat! The best forum for Solar Astronomy
Moving forward from solar cycle 24 to 25

G1 Geomagnetic Storm

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
Carbon60
Way More Fun to Share It!!

G1 Geomagnetic Storm

Post by Carbon60 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:38 am

Things have been pretty quiet in recent weeks, but yesterday a fast flowing solar wind stream slammed into Earth's magnetic bubble (our magnetosphere) sparking a G1 geomagnetic storm, beautiful aurorae around the poles and rattling our magnetic field as detected on magnetometers such as mine operating here in the north-west of England.
20190927_Coronal Hole.jpg
20190927_Coronal Hole.jpg (174.22 KiB) Viewed 196 times
We're still in the middle of the stream, so expect further auroral activity throughout the coming hours. This is great news for those lucky enough to be in position to view the display.

Thanks for looking.

Stu.
Lunt LS60THa B1200 PTFT
150mm H-alpha Solar telescope with Lunt35 mod
DMK41, Basler acA1920-155
NEQ6 Pro-mount
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence)
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: G1 Geomagnetic Storm

Post by marktownley » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:20 am

Good record Stu, i'm seeing quite a few images this morning of aurora taken from the UK (on FB). Pictures from further north are pretty spectacular. Just need this coronal hole to be about in a months time...
http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:43 am

Congrats on spaceweather too! :)
http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!

Montana

Post by Montana » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:08 am

Great data Stuart, it has been quite a lively weekend. I've not seen the Spaceweather yet but congrats on that too (will go and have a look).
Much love
Alexandra