First SHG attempt on Ca-K: results better than expected!

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

First SHG attempt on Ca-K: results better than expected!

Post by thesmiths »

As hinted at in our previous post ("Rotating prism transmission spectroscope") we thought we could now attempt some "spectroheliography" (SHG) with our home-made grism spectrograph. We thought this would be very difficult, but following in the footsteps of Wah, this turned out to be remarkably easy and the results (for the very first attempt) were better than we expected.

The historical origins of this project were actually chemical analysis of burning things in flames (like the original Bunsen and Kirchoff experiments) so the equipment was made as small and portable as possible (the whole apparatus, including all the optics and camera, is easily hand in one hand). It was built to be held on a small camera tripod so we found it could easily be held on a small Vixen mount. Here is a photo of the instrument in it's most recent incarnation:
SHG
SHG
grism-helio.jpg (252.99 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
The biggest single piece of the setup is the 150mm f4 Pentax lens at the bottom. We decided to really "zoom in" to just a small part of the Solar spectrum (normally we would use something like a 50mm lens to take in the whole spectrum). At the top is the 100mm f4 (very cheap) M42 lens that acts at a "telescope". Keep in mind that the telescope only has a 25mm aperture so resolution even on a full disk is not going to be that great. The camera bellows at the bottom adds a bit of flexibility to fine tune the wavelength window over a moderate range, although as described previously, changing the rotation of the prisms is necessary to scan over a large range.

The ASI 120MM camera, used in combination with FireCapture, turns out to be very good. First of all, it is relatively sensitive in the blue. The pixel size (3.75 microns) and chip size (1280 x 960 pixels) are also helpful. But most importantly, when using ROI, the video capture speed is very good. It seemed to top out at around 120 fps on my old WindowsXP generation laptop. For the shutter speed of 3.51 ms I was using, FireCapture said the theoretical maximum speed was 285 fps. I'm not sure if the bottleneck is UBS 2.0 or the hard disk write speed. But in any case, 120 fps is still very good.
calcium scan.mp4
calcium video
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 555 times
Here is an example of a video captured (it has been compressed for presentation so does not contain all the spectral or temporal information). The ROI was restricted to 384x464 pixels to just focus on the two Calcium lines at 3934 and 3968 angstroms. The hand controller of the Vixen mount was used to manually scan back and forth in RA at the maximum manual rate of 32x sidereal. Normally, the Sun will scan itself over the slit in 120 seconds (on a stationary mount). At 32x, it takes 3.75 sec. As we scan a little further on each side, a full scan is actually about 5 seconds. In a 30 second video, we can make 5 full scans, back and forth. At 120 fps and 3.75 sec, we take about 450 horizontal lines across the Sun's surface. With the optics used here, the Sun's full diameter is projected across approximately 375 pixels, so the image is oblong by a factor of 1.2.

Now I rely on the guidance of Wah to process the data. The original AVI from Firecapture is put into a program called VirtualDub (a very flexible but slightly over featured piece of software). I used this to convert from 120 fps down to 25 fps (I'm not sure I need to do this but I wanted to use other video editing software as well) and also to edit out some of the "black" areas (where there was no Sun visible, at the end of the scans -- also not an essential step). For some reason, the output AVI from VirtualDub was 1.22 GB vs 596 MB for the input (even though parts were edited out). This new video I put into Wah's program SpecLineMerge (in the Solar Reference Library). This is a very simple and easy to use program. I figured out how to use it fairly quickly. Only later I discovered that there is a kind of "Users Manual" (see "SHG imaging & processing" in the Library). But any program you can use without reading the manual must be a good one.

I chose a bandwidth of 4 pixels, which in my case I believe corresponds to 0.8 angstroms. I pushed the button for "Merge" and SpecLineMerge fairly quickly created an image file. After applying "Auto Contrast" in Photoshop Elements, out popped this amazing image:
merged
merged
Calcium_K_4.jpg (97.7 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
These are the five back and forth scans across the solar disk and there is definitely some nice repeatable structure on the Sun's surface. It is also oblong by about 1.2 as predicted. There is some skew, I think because I did not align the slit with the DEC/RA axes of the mount. I cut out one of the scans which I thought looked the best and did some minor geometric correction and some unsharp masking. Here is the result:
sun cak
sun cak
4ps.jpg (26.55 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
I made no attempt to remove the characteristic "SHG" noise caused by the slit. The image does in fact look a lot like Ca-K images taken with a Lunt from that period (April 30). It's not a great image but, as they say, it's amazing it works at all!

This really was the very first attempt. The things we need to do to improve things (apart from those mentioned above already): 1) Expose longer to achieve better contrast inside the spectral lines. I made the mistake of exposing as if to capture nice lines, not the structure within the lines. 2) Use a bigger "telescope". I think even moving to a 200mm f4 camera lens (50mm diameter) will improve resolution considerably. 3) Try to double fps to 200 (maybe smaller ROI will accomplish this easily).

I am also intrigued by the idea of "stacking" the SHG images. At 4 sec per scan, 64 frames could be captured within 4.25 minutes, which should increase S/N by a factor of 8. Maybe Wah can figure out how to automatically stack the output of SpecLineMerge (like the above image with 5 disks). I made a quick attempt with AS2.3 and Reg6 but the results were not better than a single image.
Last edited by thesmiths on Tue May 06, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: First SHG attempt on Ca-K: results better than expected!

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Douglas

fantastic, congratulations . Thanks for the detailed talk :bow

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

A great insight and a great image! Thanks for sharing!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Wah
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Wah »

Hi thesmiths, I'm so glad to see my program is useful for you~

I think stacking SHG images is not easy, because each scan will have slightly differences (for my case), some factors such as scanning speed, drop frames, seeing change and vibration by wind will cause the difference.

I try to remove the horizontal band and do some sharpening to your result, hope you like it.
Attachments
Calcium_K_4_Processed.png
Calcium_K_4_Processed.png (31.97 KiB) Viewed 2232 times

thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

Hi Wah! Thanks for that (and thanks for your program). In fact, the only part of your document on "SHG imaging & processing" I could not follow was the instructions for Photoshop. Mastering that program is much harder than doing spectroscopy! I could not tell in your posts what speed do you scan at (or equivalently how long does a scan take) and what is your video frame rate?

Actually, the issues you mention are exactly the same ones dealt with in early planetary imaging. It was only when webcams could capture more than 10 frames per second that stacking become really useful. I think stacking SHG is the next step in improving their quality and to do that the frame rates need to be increased a lot. Fortunately, from the Sun there are a huge number of photons so it is not "quantum limited" in terms of detector sensitivity (I used gain set to "0" -- the ASI 120MM is really sensitive!). It is just a matter of computer throughput and faster/more accurate mechanical scanning. On the 2nd issue, that is why I also thought making the whole apparatus smaller and lighter would be an advantage. Unfortunately, the mount I use only does 32x sidereal. I'm sure I could take at 100x (or 1 sec per scan) even now.

Wah
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Wah »

If using higher frame rate to stack every several frames into one, I think it is similar using no frame skipping in my program, let the final merged image become a very long oval, using Photoshop to resize it back to a circle.

The camera I am using is ASI130MM. Because the solar image is large, I have to use 1280x400, that makes the frame rate between 30 and 75 fps.

Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp »

Thats a great result.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

:band2 :band :band2 wonderful :bow :bow :bow

Alexandra