Magnetometer with a Raspberry pi?

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
carlosjackal
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Magnetometer with a Raspberry pi?

Post by carlosjackal »

Hi all been a while since posting. My magnetometer is still going strong. I have yet to upgrade to the temperature fix with the heat mat and thermostat.

I have been looking at other ways of building this project and would like to replace the laptop with a Raspberry pi to do the monitoring. Is this possible? The new Raspberry computer is now only £4 yes £4! It's called the Zero. As well as this there is software to do bat detecting with the Pi using Sono software. What do you think?

Regards Carl

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Magnetometer with a Raspberry pi?

Post by PDB »

Hello Carl,

only basic knowlegd on magnetometer output, but from what i read it produces "sound" captured via line-in (or soundcard) from the PC. Problem wit the PI is that standard there seems to be no line-in connection (only headphone or hdmi out). So looks that some type of usb sound card would be needed to get the sound in. Analyzing probably not a problem, the processing power of a PI fairly high. Might need more investigation.

Regards,

Paul

Carbon60
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Carbon60 »

Hi Carl,

There's a Raspberry Pi magnetometer project described on the BGS web site.

http://www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk/education/r ... meter.html

Temperature stability remains an issue even with this design.

Regards

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
carlosjackal
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by carlosjackal »

Thanks Paul yes there is a sound board available I believe but will do more digging.

Stu yes seen that I assumed the temp probs were with the sensors being indoors. There are some interesting pages ref Raspberry pi bat detector but how accurate it would be is another matter.

Regards Carl