My new gear

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
axle01

My new gear

Post by axle01 »

Might not mean much to most of you with some awesome gear but I have just finally finished setting up these 2 scopes, at the moment I am only viewing but hope to start imaging soon and I am pretty excited.

The Orion 120/600 has a JMI Event Horizon focuser a Baader Herschel Wedge and the SkyWatcher has a Moonlite focuser a Coronado SM 90 and BF15.

manu41

Re: My new gear

Post by manu41 »

Hello, I ordered this mount Altaz you are satisfied with it?

axle01

Post by axle01 »

Yes for the two light weight scopes it handles the weight pretty good, I have only had it together for a few days so really haven't given it a good workout yet, and only been able to see the sun for about 2 minutes, we have a cyclone developing up here as Ralph mentioned elsewhere and we probably won't see much of the sun for a week.

Alan

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Alan

congratulations on the new Babys. Have sun and fun

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Emmanuel

welcome to that wonderful site. Have sun, fun and post the hell out of it

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

axle01

Post by axle01 »

Hi Alan

congratulations on the new Babys. Have sun and fun

Thanks Walter.

Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp »

Ahhhh Alan so its your new gear thats responsible for the weather.Looks like a great set up. The most important thing is to be able to set up quickly especially in our wetter months.A great setup.
Cheers Derek

axle01

Post by axle01 »

Yip Derek my fault,,,,,,oh and that pesky cyclone that is trying to form.

I have the setup at work under a cover and if a customer is interested especially if they have kids I just uncover it and wheel it out the front or back of the workshop take the caps off and it's up and running.

Alan

manu41

Post by manu41 »

Hi Emmanuel

welcome to that wonderful site. Have sun, fun and post the hell out of it

Thank you ;)
Today I received my mount Altaz skywatcher.
I'm just waiting for the sun to test it.

axle01

Post by axle01 »

More toys.

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Alan

Looks very good

axle01

Post by axle01 »

Yeah Walter all I need now is some sun and to read the manual, we have a cyclone about to cross the coast just south of us so hopefully it should clear by Saturday.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Cool stuff! maybe you could do a review of the solar auto guider when you get chance, i'm sure there are quite a few people who would be interested to see how you get on with it...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
axle01

Post by axle01 »

I appreciate the offer Mark but you may not realise you are talking to a motor mechanic and all I know is how to charge all you drivers to fix your cars, that's how I can buy this stuff.

I will ask our club president to assist me and get him to evaluate the guider.

Alan

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

The eye of the hurricane is aimed right at Home Hill and Rob Black's house from what I understand.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Stephen

stay cool. I hope no one will be hurt

axle01

Post by axle01 »

The eye of the hurricane is aimed right at Home Hill and Rob Black's house from what I understand.

Nothing here, crossed south of us here in Townsville and even south of Rob in Home Hill, thought we were going to get a day off work,,,,bummer looks I'll have to go to work.

Rybak
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Rybak »

Hi

Congratulations with fine setup!

Please when viewing the Sun through SM90/BF15 try to put 1.6x Barlow and extension tube in front of BF. I think the image of the Sun becomes more uniform.

Aleksey

-------------

Lunt LS100THa, Coronado SolarMax II 90 Filter + BF 15 on WO Megrez 90, PST + SW 1025 mod, Quark + SW150/750 in test mode
axle01

Post by axle01 »

Aleksey I don't have any barolws only a 4x TV powermate, can you recommend a good quality barlow and should it be 2" or 1.25"

Alan

Rybak
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Rybak »

Alan I use 1.25" AC555 Magni-Max 1.6x thread on Barlow lens and self made extension tube. Agenaastro sells 1.6x Antares 2" Barlow and fine Blue Fireball extension tubes.

Aleksey

-------------

Lunt LS100THa, Coronado SolarMax II 90 Filter + BF 15 on WO Megrez 90, PST + SW 1025 mod, Quark + SW150/750 in test mode
axle01

Post by axle01 »

Thanks mate I'll look into that.

Alan

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Great solat gear Alan:

I'm also interested in the solar auto guider review

Pedro

axle01

Post by axle01 »

Thanks Pedro, I have given it to our Townsville Astronomy club president to have a look and use, hopefully he can do a review, if not I will give my thoughts if I ever get it back,,,,,,Ha.

Alan

Rybak
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Rybak »

Alan, excuse me, but I could misinform you. Barlow 1.6x which I used was, as it turned out, not AC555 Magni-Max, but from the set of WO binoviewer. Now I got 1.6x Magni-Max from manufacture, it looks exactly the same only the height is slightly lower but I can not focus with it. I do not understand the reason, but it is so. There is no any mark on both Barlow. Sorry.

Aleksey

-------------

axlefoley
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by axlefoley »

Rybak wrote:Alan, excuse me, but I could misinform you. Barlow 1.6x which I used was, as it turned out, not AC555 Magni-Max, but from the set of WO binoviewer. Now I got 1.6x Magni-Max from manufacture, it looks exactly the same only the height is slightly lower but I can not focus with it. I do not understand the reason, but it is so. There is no any mark on both Barlow. Sorry.
Aleksey I have since purchased a 1.25" AC555 Magni-Max 1.6x thread on Barlow lens and 1.6x Antares 2" Barlow but I haven't been able to use them as we have had no clear days since I received them, it looks like we will have good viewing this week.

Oh I am Axlefoley now since the new solar site not axle01.

Alan
sullij1

Post by sullij1 »

Great thread. Also interested in how well the autoguider works.

Look Up!
sullij1

Post by sullij1 »

solarchat wrote:The eye of the hurricane is aimed right at Home Hill and Rob Black's house from what I understand.

I knew there was a reason for those evil lookin skies Derek posts! ;)

Look Up!