Using a Coronado SolarMax stacking filter in a PST mod?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
digitalbio

Using a Coronado SolarMax stacking filter in a PST mod?

Post by digitalbio »

I am a newbie to solar viewing/imaging so I apologize if my question is confusing, but I am currently doing a stage 1 (and likely a stage 2) PST mod by attaching the etalon assembly to a larger aperture OTA (80 mm or so).

Currently, I have a double-stacking setup using the SolarMax 40mm Ha Narrowband Element Front Unit & TMax Tuner, which is attached in front of the PST's objective lens.

My question is this - by going to a larger aperture OT, have I negated the usefulness of this stacking filter? If not, do I still try and attach it before the objective using a stepdown adaptor (thereby negating the aperture increase but hopefully still taking advantage of an increased focal length) or can this element be inserted into the optical train between the etalon and the OT? Of course, since the stacking filter operates by physically tilting, I am concerned about the mechanical strain, especially if I attach a camera to the back end.

GUS
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Using a Coronado SolarMax stacking filter in a PST mod?

Post by GUS »

Hi,welcome to the site. To install the DS etalon filter into the optical train of the 80mm PST mod ,you would need a parallel light beam through it, by using another lens(usually a negative lens) after the 80mm and before the DS unit, and then another lens behind the DS unit to re converge the light path again.You could use the 40mm DS unit in front of the 80 mm lens,but your scope will still only be a 40mm scope,you could use a barlow lens to get a longer focal length on your exisisting system instead of going to the trouble of making an 80mm scope only to use it as a 40mm one.

GUS.

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi digitalbio

welcome to that wonderful site. Have fun in the sun

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

GUS has summed this up very well :)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!