Solarmax 60 help

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
ischua
The Sun?
The Sun?

Solarmax 60 help

Post by ischua »

I picked up a SolarMax 60 that hit the ground and the previous owner tried to repair it. The etalons have come loose and the rubber garter on the focuser is missing. Is there hope for it or is it a lost cause? Can someone help with figuring out how to match the etalons back up?

Mike
ischua
The Sun?
The Sun?

Re: Solarmax 60 help

Post by ischua »

My first attempt to reattach the etalons, My thoughts are the only purely clean spots are at the quartz pads. The pads look to be about .006 thou thick so there is plenty of room for a spot or two of dust.
I found some ghost marks that line up on the od so I will start there. I cleaned and washed both halves in acetone and tried to stick them together (no luck) I then added a tiny tiny drop of acetone at each pad and slid each half back and forth and aligned to the marks. I used torn paper to wick all excess acetone from around the pads. I was surprised to find each half very tight but still movable. But there is still a small amount of liquid at each pad that needs to dry.

Mike
swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by swisswalter »

Hi John

welcome to that wonderful site. Have fun in the sun once the etalon is recontacted . I keep fingers crossed

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
ischua
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by ischua »

I picked up this solar scope and have no real knowledge of its use.
1 does the scope need the front stack to operate/be safe?
2 how far down the horizon will detail be visible?

Mike
swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi John

depending on where you are located you may send it in to get a estimate about the costs for the repair.

Usually you do not need the second front etalon to operate it

you can see details on the disk as long as the sun is visible.

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

ischua
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by ischua »

I just want to be sure its safe to use. I'm coming up short on good info about the SM60.

Mike
ischua
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by ischua »

I reassembled all the parts last night and replaced the silicone attaching points. I set up the SM60 this morning side by side with a new PST and the views were almost identical!! The PST was a bit brighter but the SM60 showed filaments. Am I lucky or what I'm sure it could be better but its usable. It has a sweet spot in the center where everything pops. I am thrilled with the results.

Mike
swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

congratulations John

twhite
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by twhite »

ischua wrote:I reassembled all the parts last night and replaced the silicone attaching points. I set up the SM60 this morning side by side with a new PST and the views were almost identical!! The PST was a bit brighter but the SM60 showed filaments. Am I lucky or what I'm sure it could be better but its usable. It has a sweet spot in the center where everything pops. I am thrilled with the results.
Good for you! If the SM60 is dark, check the ITF in your BFx -- it will be the filter element in the nosepiece of the diagonal -- and make sure it is not suffering from rust. I just replaced the one in my SM60DS with a unit from Maier Photonics, and oh what a difference it made. My image before showed good detail but was dark; now it shows more detail and is substantially brighter. My scopes is pre-Meade and I never sent it back for warranty service -- so I was faced with buying a whole new BFx. Now I may buy a second one for imaging or modifying or something... but I'm going to enjoy my renewed SM60 now. :D

Tony

ischua
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by ischua »

I'm still waiting for the weather to clear to give it a good work out. I can see no rust but I also have no idea how old the scope is.
It could have been just bad transparency only ...need sun

Mike
ischua
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by ischua »

I was able to get some help on the ITF filter it is bad so it will need replacing. I take it the nosepiece will unscrew to get access to the retainer ring?
We had a few clear hours this afternoon. I believe the etalons have contacted at all 5 pads. The detail was even across the whole fov. This is first
time I have been able able to sit uninterrupted and just enjoy the view. I like it!! Now I see why this is so addictive. I need more sun!!!

Mike
twhite
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by twhite »

Mike -- on mine the nosepiece would *not* unscrew. You will need to remove the retaining ring from the front of the nosepiece. If you have an optical spanner wrench, it would be optimal -- however, if you use a small flat-bladed screwdriver *carefully* and rotate the ring from the front, bracing one finger inside the tube and using it as a guide to move the ring with the screwdriver, it will loosen and you can replace the ITF. I assume you're using the Maier replacement. Mine just dropped right in. Replacing the ring was a little trickier than getting it out the first time, but be patient and it will work.

My Maier replacement is fantastic and I can't say enough good about it.

Tony

ischua
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by ischua »

Thanks Tony! the Maier ITF is on its way. Nice to know it will drop in. I read somewhere the filters had black epoxy around edge? does this get removed/replaced? Is any other filter needed or am I safe with just the swap?

Mike
twhite
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by twhite »

Do *not* remove the epoxy! The lack of epoxied edges on the original filter is probably why it failed in the first place -- it allowed moisture to get between the two pieces of glass that comprise the filter along with the coatings.

You'll also notice that the Maier replacement filter is on red RG3 glass rather than clear. Don't worry about that -- it has no negative effect, and probably a positive one. I think the image in my SM60DS with the replacement ITF are better than when the scope was new. I've had the scope seven years, though, but I don't remember them being quite as good as what I've seen since replacing it.

If you have any questions about it, drop me an email through the board and I'll be happy to give you some input.

Tony

ischua
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by ischua »

email sent Thanks

Mike