Lunt Ls60PT... Chasing better views...

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
footbag
The Sun?
The Sun?

Lunt Ls60PT... Chasing better views...

Post by footbag »

First, thanks for having me. I post on CN under the same name, but frequently read this forum. I just got around to signing up here.

I have a Lunt LS60PT. I love the views and have been considering a double stack. But, I've been blown away by the images that some users have been putting up with PST mods on 100mm-130mm refractors. I can't really swing a Lunt 80mm DS, but I am very resourceful. I'd consider a path to getting a PST mod and 100mm -130mm achro.

I do have a few questions... Would there be a way to use a PST mod with my Lunt LS60PT? I'm thinking no.

So the next question becomes would the Lunt doublestack in my 60mm outperform a single stacked PST mod on a larger aperture refractor?

Is there an obvious upgrade path to better views that I may not know of?

Also, how likely is it that after modding the PST, I may not be able to get it properly aligned/tuned? I see some people struggle with it, but I don't understand why.

Also, does anyone have reservations about using a PST mod for outreach? I have the Lunt for that, but it would be great if I had two setups. One for video steamed to my laptop and one with an EP.

Will there be any PST mods at NEAF?

Thanks,
Adam Jaffe

bandazar
The Sun?
The Sun?

Re: Lunt Ls60PT... Chasing better views...

Post by bandazar »

I can't answer all your questions. But the double stack 60mm will produce a more even h-alpha image than the PST mod, since the PST mod using a tilting system.
A proper PST mod will show more resolution than a 60mm h-alpha system. But it may not be worth it if you don't like the the results of the particular mod you put on the scope. Realize that what is seen in photographs is not necessarily the same is what is seen in the eye. Some optical properties seen through a lens cannot be reproduced on a computer screen.
To get a proper mod to work right, really takes some calculation and some homework on the right type of equipment to get.

I know of 2 other options - aries solar kit, and just using an internal lunt double stack to use as part of a project to build your own h-alpha scope using custom lenses. But both sound beyond your reach if you can't swing a double stack 80ds...

Obviously, you already know about the quark unless you've been living under a rock, so I won't really mention that here..

GUS
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by GUS »

Hi Adam, and welcome to the site. I found going from a SS 60 to a DS 60 a great improvement for contrast and surface features, and to me it was a greater improvement than going from a SS LS60 to a SS LS100. I don't have a PST mod, but do have the LS100, and even with the increased resolution of the 100mm, the view through the DS60 just has that WOW factor. But I'm mainly a visual observer and can't help regards imaging.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Depends what you want to do, Lunt double stack is more suited to full disks, either visual or imaging, PST mod for more closeups views or imaging...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
footbag
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by footbag »

Thanks for the responses.

I didn't specify that I mostly do imaging, and it really was those high-res closeups I'm amazed by. I would most likely keep the Lunt even if I looked to a PST mod. Where can I see details of the Aries Mod?

I also have read that larger aperture single stack will give better views/images then a smaller double. Not sure I understand why, but is that really the case?

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Adam

welcome to that wonderful site. Have fun in the sun and mod.

There is no reason why not using the mod for imaging on an outreach event

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)