H-Alpha Double-Refractor ?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
Solar-Cologne
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

H-Alpha Double-Refractor ?

Post by Solar-Cologne » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:35 am

Hello,

I am a new ;Member here and my Name is Achim, from Cologne/Germany.
Sorry, but my english is not so good, i hope, i learn a little bit here in SolarChat :D

I am an Hobby-Astronomer since 6 Years started with an old TASCO Newtonian 114/900.... :mrgreen:
By the Time, i learn it to love our Sun.

I found the way in this Chat, because i want to have worldwide Connections with H-Alpha-Telescope Users.
Why ?
I am inquisitive in H-Alpha especially selfmade Telescopes.
At assemblies Scopes, i use two Coronado-PST, and a third PST-Etalon in an Aluminium case, mecanical Tuning, T-2 Adaption with an Baader TZ-4 Telezentrik.
By the Time i made a selfmade Scope with PST-Conversation and one with Lunt60-Conversation.
My last Step is an old Meade ED-178 with f=30, Doublestack. Its in work.

My Dream is an H-Alpha Double-Refractor with two C-ERF and min. 120mm Diameter or greater, without Frontetalons, at the end the Matsumoto Two-Mirror-System.

Is there anybody, using a Binocularscope like this ?
Or has somebody the same dream...?

PS:
My best H-Alpha Friends are Oliver Smie / http://beloptik.de/ and Wolfgang Lille / http://sonnenfernrohr.de/
I am lucky to know them both.

sunny Greetings :D
Achim

Derek Klepp
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: H-Alpha Double-Refractor ?

Post by Derek Klepp » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:54 am

There will be someone here with knowledge Achim.I am still learning just basic modding.
Don't forget to post some pictures of your scopes.

Solar-Cologne
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Solar-Cologne » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:39 am

Hello Derek,

oh my, i have a lot of Sun-Scopes.... :mrgreen:

I dont wont to make a mistake here in Solarchat.
In which Board i can post my Pictures ?

Achim

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:21 pm

Hi Achim, welcome to the forum! You certainly have a lot of scope setups there. Never tried the binocular scopes like you talk about, but certainly sounds interesting. You can post your pictures in any of the boards here. :)
http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!

Solar-Cologne
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Solar-Cologne » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:16 pm

Hi Mark,

My Plan is to build a H-Alpha Binoscope with my self made 6" f8 FH-Binoscope with Matsumoto Mirror-System, with the build in Pentax 6x7 Helicoid-Focussers to adjust the Eye-Diameter.

I build it, because i like the big Fujinon 150 Binoculars.
My Scope is better than the Fujinon, because i can up to 300x .... :D
The Fujinon has a shorter focalratio and the wider Field....ok.

This Refractors are the older Bresser types from the Year 2000, not adjustable Lenses.
I have two Al Jaegers 6" f8 brand new Lenses.
now, i will make the Adapters for the Jaegers, they are 10 Times better than the Bresser, like an Semi-Apo....wouw.

I have two W.Lille C-ERF, one 135mm and the other 160mm and two PSTs,

I need only five Adapters and a second Zeiss-Abbe-Barlow to make a self-made 120mm H-Alpha-Binoscope.

Achim
Attachments
074.jpg
075.jpg
080.jpg
083.jpg

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:41 am

Wow, that is a cool setup!
http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:48 am

Welcome Achim...

That bino scope is rather unique...it will be interesting to follow this project as it develops.

Brian
Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory

Cambray, ON Canada

Valery

Post by Valery » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:44 pm

I am envious with the green background and ground everywhere there. This is the nicest environment for a good solar seeing which is the key in this hobby.

Valery.
"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.

Bob Yoesle
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Bob Yoesle » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi Achim,

Impressive, but I'm not sure it would be the best approach.

1. OTA alignment seems like it might be a problem in order to get coincident visual fields.

2. For the twin scope you will need two etalons. Internal collimated etalons with the PST collimator-etalon-refocus lenses would be very complex with the Matsumoto mirror system and Pentax focusers. Using telecentric based filters (DayStar, Solar Spectrum) will give you a huge EFL, making OTA and internal optical alignment issues even more critical.

3. There are no commercially available front etalons over 100 mm in diameter. They are expensive, and you would need two. It would be better to use them double stacked on a single OTA with a binoviewer.

I certainly don't want to discourage you from trying, but in the end, you would probably be better off using a single 120 mm objective with a LS 60 or (better) LS 80 internal etalon system, with the appropriate DSII for double stacking if desired, and using a binoviewer.

Just my 2 cents worth...
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders

Solar-Cologne
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Solar-Cologne » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:18 pm

Hello sun-friends,

Thanks for interesting this project.

Bob,

My thoughts to built this scope, I discussed with Oliver Smie.
Our first plan was to use the brand new Daystar-Quarks.....fine, a good idea.
We think, its a very good h-alpha-component, and its the right time when started in the market.

We speak with M.Ludes APM/Telescopes, if the next batch arrive here in Germany we want to test them all and i get two of the best one...... :D
But whats happend.....they all are, to put it mildly, not so good..... we were disappointed :cry:

What we can do ?
Then it occurred to me, to use my two Coronado-PSTs.
All components are available, its cost me no money, only the five adapters..... :D

At next time i will test it, with two friends, with a single refractor, to put the etalon between the tube and the Matsumotos and the blockingfilter with barlow and eyepiece on the top

Oliver said, it will work.....maybe later, we will see... :idea:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About the biggest Frontetalons:
Today, i ask Wolfgang Lille, he knows all about H-Alpha components.
Coronado has only built 5 pieces of a 140mm fronetalon in about the Year 2000 or earlier. It costs about 32.000,- DM, old German D-Mark, 16.000,- €.
But when they build it today, i think it costs 32.000,-€.
One User in Germany has two of them....not me.... :D

Achim