Dreaming of a Dichroic Mirror

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
michael.h.f.wilkinson
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Dreaming of a Dichroic Mirror

Post by michael.h.f.wilkinson »

A thought just occurred to me. It should be possible to create a dichroic mirror that reflects all wavelengths shorter than e.g. 420nm, and transmits the rest, or vice-versa, this could act as a wavelength-sensitive beam splitter. I could adapt a housing of a flip-mirror to hold it at 45 deg. Used with the Tri-band ERF, I could then image white light and Ca-K simultaneously. It might be a bit tricky to get the CaK module in the right position, and I would need a lot of in focus, but it should be possible.

Solar kit: GP-C8 with Thousand Oaks Solar filter, APM 80mm F/6, Lunt Herschel Wedge, Solar Spectrum 0.3Å H-alpha filter, Beloptic Tri-Band ERF (80mm free aperture), Thousand Oaks 90mm ERF, Coronado SolarMax II 60mm with Double Stack Unit. Lunt straight B1800 Ca-K module.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Dreaming of a Dichroic Mirror

Post by marktownley »

A dichroic mirror would be good indeed, I agree :)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
michael.h.f.wilkinson

Next problem is where to source one

Solar kit: GP-C8 with Thousand Oaks Solar filter, APM 80mm F/6, Lunt Herschel Wedge, Solar Spectrum 0.3Å H-alpha filter, Beloptic Tri-Band ERF (80mm free aperture), Thousand Oaks 90mm ERF, Coronado SolarMax II 60mm with Double Stack Unit. Lunt straight B1800 Ca-K module.
michael.h.f.wilkinson

Actually, google is your friend, again:

http://www.thorlabs.de/thorproduct.cfm? ... r=DMLP425R

Fits the bill

Valery

Post by Valery »

michael.h.f.wilkinson wrote:Next problem is where to source one

The next problem is not the one you are thinking it is. The next problem is that the image which will
be formed where the light pass through a dichroic mirror will be astigmatic. To remove this astigmatism
you will need to put one more glass of about the same thickness and at opposed (the same but a negative)
45 dregree. This one can be as additional filter as well.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
michael.h.f.wilkinson

Depends where you put it. If you put it in a tele-centric light path (which would be easiest in terms of spacing of components) I am not sure that the diagonal dichroic would have much influence other than a slight shift, especially when working at F/20 or beyond. A clear glass of the same glass and thickness would of course correct any residual aberration

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Just a thought: If I first collimate the beam, send it through the splitter, and then re-focus, I guess that would solve the astigmatism problem, although it may introduce many other optical headaches (collimation being the first, potentially increased SA another)/