ETX90 for CaK Work

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

ETX90 for CaK Work

Post by marktownley »

I was having a clear out this morning and selling some bits and pieces second hand and was going to sell my ETX90 but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Have I read somewhere that a reflector like this has no spherical aberration or I am just hoping?

I tried my 85mm Beloptik tri-band ERF and it fits really nice in the ETX90 screw on dew shield, might give it a try when the sun is out.

Anybody any thoughts? Valery?

Thanks

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: ETX90 for CaK Work

Post by Valery »

Sell it and use your TAL100 !

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Ha ha ha! Fair enough! :D

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hopefully should be a bit of sunshine today, I have it all set up ready so will give it a quick blast...

Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp »

One things for sure Mark you,ve got to appreciate Valery,s honest replies.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Derek Klepp wrote:One things for sure Mark you,ve got to appreciate Valery,s honest replies.
Lol, I know, I like them :D

I did try earlier today and the results were dog awful! Won't be using this. At least i'll be a few quid up selling it ;)

mdwmark
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by mdwmark »

Hi Mark,
I don't think that scope is corrected that far down in the blue. If the AR is a standard TIO2,SIO2 4 layer then it will be absorbing a lot below 400nm.
I have seen them used at Ha but not at K-line. That my be why it didn't look good when you tested it.
Mark W.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks Mark! Definitely not well corrected as the following image testifies. Very interesting about the coatings too, makes perfect sense as I had to rack the exposure right up, and also fits in with similar findings which i've had with my Meade AR5 refractor at 393nm in terms of having to get the exposure time right up. Also backed up with my observations visually with my Meade series 4000 plossls giving dimmer views with a Daystar CaH I have been testing compared to brighter views with Tele Vue plossls of same focal length. I wonder if the TV are using MGFl2 coatings compared to the TiO2 of the Meade?

Anyway, a view through the ETX90... (80mm aperture) pretty yuck I think!
etx90 cak.png
Compare this to the same area with the ED80 stopped down to 60mm
ar12528-cak-bw-60mm.jpg